Sims can only write by using a computer. The skill is augmented by Artistic and Bookworm traits, and Acclaimed Author lifetime reward (Some other traits are also useful for several types of writing). Finished books will be mailed to the Sim after completion free of charge with the exception of articles which simply appear in the Sim's inventory. They can be read just like any other book. The books can also now be found in the library, and be bought from the Bookshop in town. Income is paid once a week, at 12 pm on Sunday, for 6 weeks per book. Small payments are also received for every 20% of the book that is completed. If the author dies, payments will stop for any books they have written. With The Sims 3: Ambitions expansion pack, players can register as a self-employed writer. Being a writer is very hard compared to other skill careers, as many, and possibly all, of the Sim's wish slots will be taken up by wishes related to the career.
- 1 Statistics
- 2 Challenges
- 3 Genres
- 4 Useful Writer traits
- 5 Opportunities
- 6 Descriptions of each skill level
- 7 Notes
- Books Read
- Current Book Completed
- Completed Books
- Scrapped Writings
- Pages Written
- Best Sellers
- Most Experienced Genre
- Most Profitable Book
- Money Earned Writing
- Current Weekly Royalties
- Speed Writer
- Speed Writers are so prolific that they've earned §30,000 in royalties. Speed Writers write more quickly than normal writers.
- Prolific Writers have written at least 20 books in their career. They are so well known that they tend to write far more best-sellers than their counterparts.
- Writers must pen at least 5 novels in a specific genre to be known as a specialist for the genre. Such specialists write far more hits and best-sellers in their particular genre than most.
|Genre||Requirement||Average Length||Expected Royalties||Base Royalty||Royalty Per page||Bonus Trait|
|Fiction||Writing Lv. 0||90||§ 0025-0035||0.333|
|Non-Fiction||Writing Lv. 0||90||§ 0025-0035||0.333|
|Science Fiction||Writing Lv. 1 or
Writing Lv. 0 with Computer Whiz
|150||§ 0060-0070||0.433||Computer Whiz, Genius|
|Comic||Writing Lv. 1 and Painting Lv. 1 or
Writing Lv. 1 and Street Art Lv. 1
|Trashy||Writing Lv. 2||190||§ 0073-0085||0.416||Flirty|
|Drama||Writing Lv. 3||305||§ 0160-0183||0.562||Commitment Issues, Diva|
|Children's||Writing Lv. 3 and Painting Lv. 4||105||§ 0075-0105||0.857||Artistic, Childish, Family-Oriented|
|Sports||Writing Lv. 3 or
Sports Agent Lv. 3
|Horror||Writing Lv. 4 or
Writing Lv. 2 with Supernatural Fan
|400||§ 0200-0300||0.625||Supernatural Fan|
|Humor||Writing Lv. 5 or
Writing Lv. 2 with Good Sense of Humor
|345||§ 0185-0255||0.638||Loser, Inappropriate, Mean Spirited|
|Historical||Writing Lv. 6 and elders only||505||§ 0290-0360||0.643||Perfectionist, No Sense of Humor|
|Poetry||Writing Lv. 7 or
Writing Lv. 0 with Brooding or
Writing Lv. 2 with Avant Garde
|Mystery||Writing Lv. 8||510||§ 0325-0340||0.652||Genius|
|Romance||Writing Lv. 10 or
Writing Lv. 5 with Hopeless Romantic
|675||§ 0600-0890||1.104||Hopeless Romantic|
|Biography||Writing skill opportunity||400||§ 0150-0175||0.406|
|Auto-Biography||3 Biographies||400||§ 0150-0175||0.406||Ambitious, Charismatic, Unlucky, Daredevil, Insane, Kleptomaniac, Diva|
|Fantasy||3 Sci-Fi novels||440||§ 0300-0360||0.750||Neurotic|
|Satire||3 Humor novels or
Writing Lv. 4 with Avant Garde
|350||§ 0350-0410||1.086||Grumpy, Hot-Headed, Over-Emotional, Rebellious|
|Vaudeville||2 Sci-Fi, 2 Drama, 2 Humor, 2 Mystery, 2 Romance novels, and Writing Lv. 10||1250||§ 1450-1770||1.288||Bookworm|
|Masterpiece||25 novels||2000||§ 2750-3100||1.462|
|Life Story||Top level career opportunity||400||§ 0300-0500||1.000|
|Political Memoir (Political Life Story)||Political career opportunity||400||§ 0300-0500||1.000|
|Article (Story/Review)||Journalism Lv. 3||79||§ 0035-0052||0.554|
Useful Writer traits
Along with the traits that provide a bonus to individual writing genres, there are some traits that any sort of professional writer could find useful:
- Bookworm Sims get a bonus to writing quality and write novels faster.
- Artistic Sims get a further bonus to writing with this trait.
- Computer Whiz Sims enjoy playing on the computer more and can fix broken computers faster.
- Sims that Hates the Outdoors will never go Stir-Crazy. This is useful for writer Sims, who rarely need to leave the house.
- Adventurous Sims will take longer to become Stir Crazy, at approximately 9 days.
- Hopeless Romantic Sims are more prominent in the romance genre, and can start writing romance novels much earlier. As romance novels are some of the most profitable works, this can speed up the writer’s profit rate.
- Insane Sims can talk to themselves, which allows them to fulfill their need for social interaction, especially if they live alone.
- Green Thumb can talk to potted/planted plants to quickly refill their social need (much more effective than Insane's talk to self as it lasts roughly twice as long and seems to fill the need more quickly. One talk to plant will refill almost the whole social from empty, while insane requires 5-6 talk to self to do the same).
- Loner Sims need less social interaction than others. They also get a mood boost when they're alone.
- Sims with No Sense of Humor have an almost halved need for fun.
- Perfectionist Sims take longer to do many things but do them better than normal. This includes writing novels.
- Slob Sims don't mind a dirty house or body, allowing them more time to write.
- Couch Potato Sims sitting in a particularly comfy chair while writing get up to a +25 mood bonus with this trait (this is redundant if the Sim uses the Holo-Computer[TS3:ITF]). Sims may watch TV for a quick Fun boost, if they get strained.
- Neurotic Sims can use the "Freak Out" action to prevent/eliminate stress from writing for long stretches of time.
- Brooding Sims can start writing poetry right away, although at the cost of a 10% learning gain rate of the writing skill.
- Avant Garde Sims can write Poetry and Satire in lower skill requirements.
Additionally, for each bonus traits that a Sim possesses upon completing a novel, the book royalty is added by +25%. Possessing all seven traits (if possible) when writing an autobiography will add a bonus of +175% to the royalty.
A History of One
Write a Biography of (Sim).
- (Sim) wants to be immortalized in print, and you're just the writer to do it! If you find the time to write a biography of (Sim), it'll surely improve your relationship and earn you some money.
Write an Autobiography.
- (Sim) has read quite a few of your books and thinks you're quite the writer. With such an interesting life, (Sim) thinks you should put it on paper. Write an Autobiography and you'll improve your relationship with (Sim) and earn some money.
Correcting Past Mistakes
- (Sim) has read some of your very first books and determined they weren't quite up to snuff. Prove that you've improved as a writer by writing a novel that generates §100 in weekly royalty checks, and you'll improve your relationship with (Sim). Your books will also improve from then on!
Donate three books at City Hall.
- City Hall is collecting books for the library - such a great cause! Those who donate will be viewed as Charitable, so bring three books that you've written and drop them off at City Hall!
Add a Little Drama
Write a Drama.
- (Sim) has a soft spot for a well-written drama that pulls at the heartstrings and excites readers with its suspense. Write a Drama Novel for (Sim) to earn some money and improve your relationship.
To Boldly Go
Write a Sci Fi novel.
- Lasers, adventuring through space, and discovering new planets where evil monsters may lurk are exactly what (Sim) wants you to occupy your time with. Write a Science Fiction novel for (Sim) and you'll earn some money and your relationship will improve.
Hopefully You Like Orks
Write a Fantasy novel.
- (Sim) has a hankering for magic, wizards, and green-skinned Orks that like fighting just a little too much. You should take a stab at writing a Fantasy novel for (Sim). It'll improve your relationship and earn you a little cash!
Write a Masterpiece.
- (Sim) has read everything you've ever written. As one of your biggest fans, (Sim) is eagerly anticipating your masterpiece. Write a Masterpiece and your relationship with (Sim) will improve. You'll also earn some money!
A Few Pages of Satire
Write a Satire.
- (Sim) absolutely loves satire and is very interested in seeing you take a pass at the genre. Write a Satire novel for (Sim) and it'll improve your relationship, plus earn you some money.
The Glory of Vaudeville
Write a Vaudeville novel.
- The great storytelling and humor of Vaudeville is sought by your acquaintance (Sim). Write a vaudeville story for (Sim) and your relationship will improve, plus you'll earn a cash bonus!
Descriptions of each skill level
- Level 1
Can words move another Sim to cry? To laugh? To fall in love? [Sim] has begun the literary path, one that is not always the less traveled, but perhaps one in need of excellence. Will the next bestseller be penned by [Sim]?
- Level 3
Congratulations! [Sim] has just improved [his/her] Writing Skill to level 3!
[Sim] now understands how to write drama novels. Don't hold back the sappy dialogue and deep plot-line -- readers will eat it up!
- Level 5
Congratulations! [Sim] has just improved [his/her] Writing Skill to level 5!
[Sim]'s fingers may be a tad sore, but the calluses will heal and key replacements for keyboards are cheap. Keep typing away, and that masterpiece will be within [Sim]'s grasp. [Sim] now possesses the touch to pen Humor Novels. The neighborhood can always use a little more funny.
- Level 10
People have no doubt wept from the telling dramas written by [Sim]. Readers have no doubt laughed until their stomachs hurt, and it can most definitely be said that the most vivid tales were created by none other than [Sim]. Enjoy the royalties - they are well deserved.
- Specialist is given to the first genre that has 5 completed novels. The specialization will change to the genre with the most completed books. In the case of a tie, the tiebreaker is based on the following list: Trashy > Drama > Science Fiction > Fantasy > Humor > Satire > Mystery > Romance > Historical > Children > Vaudeville > Biography > Article > Autobiography > Masterpiece > Political Memoir > Life Story > Fiction > Non-fiction > Poetry > Horror > Sports > Comic. For example, if the Sim has completed 5 Romance novels, on completion of his fifth Mystery novel, the specialization will change. In order to then change the specialization to Children, the Sim must complete at least six Children's books. Each Genre gets its own special blurb, except for Life Story and Political Memoir, where the specialization will say "**Unknown Genre**"
- The amount listed is per payment per book
- Weekly royalty of writer of Lv.0 Writing Skill without trait/genre combo, without Acclaimed Author
- Requires University Life
- Included in Patch 38, but requires Supernatural to write these genres properly.
- Supernatural Skeptics cannot write Horror genre.