Tinkering with electronics and mechanical items is some Sims' favorite pastime. They love upgrading their electronic items, playing with train tables and even restoring vintage cars. Sims with high mechanical skill will be more into tinkering.
Activities that raise a Sim's enthusiasm for tinkering are:
Available to toddlers and children:
- Playing with blocks on the activity table[TS2:FT]
Available to toddlers and up:
Available to children and up:
- Studying mechanical
- Playing with remote-controlled toys
- Designing and operating the model train set[TS2:FT]
- Reading the Technology section in the newspaper or the D-I-Y magazine[TS2:FT]
- Browsing web about tinkering[TS2:FT]
- Blogging about tinkering[TS2:FT]
- Telling stories about mechanics[TS2:AL]
- Dreaming about tinkering
Available to teens and up
- Repairing appliances and electronic devices
- Tinkering with appliances, electronic devices, or plumbing[TS2:FT][n 1]
- Restoring the junk car[TS2:FT]
- Using the robot crafting station[TS2:OFB]
Unlockable Interactions Edit
Gaining enthusiasm in this hobby can unlock these interactions:
- "Talk about Tinkering"
- "Read Section ... Technology" in newspaper
- "Browse Web About Tinkering" on the computer
- "Share Hobby Tips" with a Sim
- "Blog About Tinkering" on the computer
- "Instruct in Tinkering"
- "Be in the Zone"
- Uninspired Underling
- Fixer Upper
- Eager Engineer
- Talented Tinkerer
- Master of Machines
Special Effects Edit
Sims in the zone will hear the sounds of a muscle car's engine starting, idling and racing past while they work on the One Man's Junk Car. They can also hear a real train sound when they play with the model train set.
Hobby Instructors Edit
Tinkering hobby instructors wear a mechanic's coverall and cap. If The Sims 2: Open for Business is installed before the NPC is generated, all tinkering hobby instructors will have gold talent badges in robotics.
- ↑ Unlike upgrading in later games, tinkering does not improve the objects that are being tinkered with. Tinkering carries a small chance of breaking the object.