|IRC Channel Operators|
|Administrator||Open to requests.|
|Bureaucrat||Open to requests.|
Requests for administratorship is the venue where frequent and skilled editors of The Sims Wiki can request administrative rights on the wiki. New administrators are selected by the community based on their editing history, behavior, skills, and other factors.
Any user who meets the minimum requirements for nomination (see below) may be nominated, or may submit a request for administratorship. All requests are conducted on individual pages - a bureaucrat will set up the individual request page once a nominee/applicant has cleared the minimum requirements. To nominate a user for administratorship, or to apply yourself, please go here.
Requests for bureaucratship are also handled through this page. Currently-active administrators may be nominated for or request bureaucrat rights; to nominate a user or to apply yourself, please go here
In order to apply for administratorship or be eligible for nomination, a user must:
- be able to communicate effectively in English, including the use of proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling;
- not be prohibited from requesting or being nominated for administrative rights due to past actions or prior requests.
Bureaucratship applicants or nominees must meet all the minimum requirements of administratorship applicants, but must also currently hold administrative rights on The Sims Wiki. Bureaucratship nominees are more heavily scrutinized than administratorship nominees and the expectations for aspiring bureaucrats are higher than expectations for aspiring administrators.
Procedure for Applications
The following steps should be followed by applicants and nominees for administratorship or bureaucratship.
Stage 1 - Nomination/Application
- Users may nominate themselves or be nominated by another user. The nominee then has to accept the nomination before discussion can begin. Nominations or applications for administratorship should be made here, and nominations or applications for bureaucratship should be made here.
- After a user applies or accepts a nomination, a bureaucrat should determine whether the user is eligible to apply. If they are eligible, the bureaucrat will create a page for the nomination (typically 'The Sims Wiki:Requests for administratorship/<name of nominee> (<month and year when the nomination page was created>)') and begin the discussion there.
- Multiple nominations can be queued at one time. Nominations which aren't responded to by the nominee within 2 weeks are subject to removal.
Stage 2 - Discussion
- A period of discussion shall last at least seven days.
- After the seven day period of discussion has elapsed, it shall be determined whether a consensus in favor of or against promotion has been reached.
- Consensus for these requests is defined as a general agreement among users engaged in the discussion (including the nominating user, if applicable). If necessary, consensus can be roughly measured as a general agreement between at least two-thirds of users engaged in the discussion (including the nominating user, if applicable).
- If the discussion shows consensus for a nominee, the nomination is successful and the user is promoted. If the discussion shows consensus against a promotion, the nomination will end and the nominee will not be promoted.
- After the initial seven-day discussion period, if consensus either for or against promotion is not present, discussion will continue until there is a two-day long period, or longer, in which nothing is added to the discussion.
- If this occurs and a consensus for promotion exists, the nomination is successful and the user is promoted.
- If this occurs and a consensus for promotion does not exist, the nomination will end and the nominee will not be promoted. This will occur even if a consensus against promotion does not exist.
- If discussion continues for ten or more days, and it is determined by at least two bureaucrats that progress towards consensus is not occurring, the nomination will end and the nominee will not be promoted.
- The requirement for consensus is higher for bureaucratship candidates than administratorship candidates. Bureaucratship candidates should not be promoted without a clear and strong consensus in favor of promotion.
- A nominee whose nomination does not lead to a consensus for promotion will not be eligible to be nominated or to request for thirty days.
- A nominee may end a nomination at any time. A nominee that terminates a nomination will not be eligible to be nominated or to request for fifteen days.
- A nominee who has had three failed nominations within any six-month period will be ineligible to be nominated or to request rights for three months, starting at the end of their third failed nomination.
- A nominee who applies for rights and who is ineligible will be automatically denied, and will be ineligible to request rights or to be nominated for an additional fifteen days, beginning after they would have otherwise become eligible. Nominations of ineligible nominees by other users will not result in a penalty against the nominee.
Guidelines for discussion and consensus
- Points of discussion should be focused on assessing the ability of a nominee to perform their duties. Discussion should avoid sweeping praise or generalizations (e.g. "he/she is a good editor" or "he/she deserves it"), and focus instead on specific reasons why a user is or is not a good fit for the position.
- Users engaged in discussion may contradict the points raised by another user, but should remain respectful at all times. Back-and-forth arguments between two users should be avoided.
- Generally, consensus in a request can be determined by answering these questions:
- Are there major and specific problems raised by multiple users regarding the nominee?
- Is there a lack of agreement between users over whether a nominee is qualified, capable of serving or a good fit for the role?
- If the answer to these questions is 'no', there likely exists a consensus for the nomination.
Pending administratorship applications
Please use this space to apply for administrative rights, or to nominate another user for those rights. Please ensure that you/the nominee meet minimum requirements and are eligible.
A little over two years ago, SimDestroyer was promoted to the (then-new) position of Content Moderator on the wiki. Everything that was said in my statement nominating him for that position, and everything said by the other people who voiced their support for his promotion, still stands as true as ever. SimDestroyer is a prolific editor, an effective vandalism fighter, and an active and engaged member of the community. He has utilized the Moderator tools effectively and without any history of misuse or abuse of power.
Promoting him to the role of Administrator, although not bringing much in the way of additional tools and powers over that of Moderator, would enable him to do his work that much more effectively. I have no doubt that he will continue to behave with the same high standards that have come to define his nearly three years of editing history on the wiki, if he is promoted. And I have no doubt that the wiki and community will be all the better for him having these additional tools at his disposal. -- LostInRiverview talk · blog · contribs 22:00, May 26, 2020 (UTC)
Requests for bureaucratship
Requests for bureaucratship is where experienced and active administrators can be nominated for or apply for bureaucratship. Bureaucrats fulfill a similar role as administrators, except that they are able to change the user rights of other users, and they cannot be demoted by anyone but Wikia staff. Bureaucrat nominees should be the most experienced and trusted editors on the wiki. Applicants or nominees for bureaucratship must already be administrators.
Pending bureaucratship applications
Requests for administratorship archives
The Sims Wiki:Requests for administratorship/Archive 1 - April 2009 to July 2010
The Sims Wiki:Requests for administratorship/Archive 2 - July 2010 to April 2011
The Sims Wiki:Requests for administratorship/Archive 3 - July 2011 to September 2011
The Sims Wiki:Requests for administratorship/Archive 4 - March 2012 to October 2012
The Sims Wiki:Requests for administratorship/Archive 5 - November 2012 to May 2013
Fanon Administratorship Archive
Beds - June 17 to June 22, 2013 - Approved
Hurshbr - June 22 to June 25, 2013 - Not approved
Pidgeoraptor7 - August 1 to August 6, 2013 - Approved
JasonThePlum - September 24 to October 5, 2013 - Approved
Walker guy94 - October 5 to October 10, 2013 - Approved
Mate1234 - November 20 to December 5, 2013 - Not approved
K6ka - January 24 to January 29, 2014 - Approved
Joey.eyeball - January 30 to February 5, 2014 - Not approved
Icemandeaf - June 19 to June 24, 2014 - Approved
C.Syde65 - June 24 to June 29, 2014 - Not approved
Joey.eyeball - August 2 to August 7, 2014 - Approved
Beds - August 14 to August 19, 2014 - Approved
Requests for bureaucratship archives
- Old Archives
- New Archives