|The Sims 4: Nifty Knitting Stuff|
|Box art for The Sims 4: Nifty Knitting Stuff|
|Developer(s)||Maxis, The Sims Studio|
|Release date(s)||July 28, 2020|
|Platform(s)||Windows, macOS, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S|
|System requirements||Minimum system requirements on TheSims.com|
The Sims 4: Nifty Knitting Stuff is the seventeenth stuff pack for The Sims 4. It marks the introduction of knitting to The Sims series as well as the return of the rocking chair, introducing gameplay elements similar to The Sims 2: FreeTime. Its trailer premiered on July 14, 2020 and it was released on July 28, 2020 for PC and consoles.
This stuff pack was developed as a result of a series of votes, similar to that of The Sims 4: Laundry Day Stuff. Players voted for its theme, build/buy and CAS assets as well as its icon and title.
Get Knitty With It
All your Sims need for their new hobby is a yarn basket. Sims start with knitting socks and beanies, but as they grow more skilled, they can tackle more interesting challenges like sweaters, baby onesies, toys for kids, and even mailbox cozies. Why? You mean, why not. Once you’re skilled enough, you can share the joy of knitting with other Sims, too. Just sit down together and start teaching them to knit, or give them the gift of a misshapen but well-intentioned sweater. It’s the thought that counts. Probably.
Ready to Rock?
Plop down in one of the four new rocking chair variants to chill, knit, nap, or read a book. (Psst: Sims get a bonus to their Knitting Skill while on the rocking chair too!) Sitting in one is quite relaxing for Sims, so uncomfortable, sad, or angry buffs will diminish quicker. Elder Sims also have a new Reminiscence interaction with the rocking chair, giving them a comfy way to explore their mind palace and fondly remember times of fun, while children and toddlers can play on it.
Of course, rocking chairs aren’t the only things that rock in this pack. Did somebody mention a new Metal music station? We did! Sims listening to Metal feel Energized and gain bonuses to Knitting while they listen—so don’t be alarmed if you see your Sim jamming on an air guitar.
Welcome to Plopsy
The more you knit, the more you can earn on Plopsy, the new online crafting marketplace where you can sell everything from socks and sweaters to paintings and woodworking projects. Once you’ve crafted an object, it costs a small fee to list it on Plopsy, but your item remains listed for several days, and you can easily track potential buyer interest during that time. As a bonus, Plopsy offers a higher payout than selling things the old-fashioned way.
Now, if your Sim is more of a shopper than a crafter, you can also use Plopsy to buy unique goods! Plopsy rotates in random crafted items throughout the day, so all your Sims have a chance to get some cool stuff (including the new knitted clothing!).
On November 13, 2019, it was announced on Maxis Monthly that a new stuff pack is to be created through voting by the sims community, in a similar manner to Laundry Day Stuff. Potential themes of the stuff pack were "happy haunts", "arts and crafts", "self care routines", "fun tech" and "science & technology". The contents of the "happy haunts" theme were later incorporated into The Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff.
On November 27, 2019, after the first round of voting, the "arts and crafts" theme won overall, and within this theme, "knitting" was voted as the top gameplay aspect. On December 23, 2019, round 2 of voting commenced which allowed players to vote for the pack's overall art style, with three art styles to choose from: "Granny Chic", "DIY Delight" and "Cozy Craft Workshop". Results of the second round of voting was revealed on January 10, 2020, resulting in the "DIY Delight" art style being chosen for the stuff pack.
On February 14, 2020, after round 3 of voting, it was revealed that 15 CAS assets were to be included in the pack (chosen from 92) - with tops, bottoms and hats for various ages making the cut. Round 4 focused on build/buy assets for the pack. Round 4 results was released on March 17, 2020, revealing a final selection of 28 objects to be included, chosen from an initial number of over 100. The fifth and final voting round commenced on April 20, 2020 and allowed the sims community to vote on the pack's name and icon. Potential pack names considered for the vote were: "Knitting Rocks Stuff", "Nifty Knitting Stuff", "Knitting Stuff", "Rock 'n' Knit Stuff", "Luv 2 Knit Stuff" and "Cozy Knits Stuff", as well as five icon choices. The results of the fifth round was released on May 1, 2020. It was revealed that the pack is to be called The Sims 4: Nifty Knitting Stuff and its winning icon was also debuted.
Numerous "deep dive" blog posts were also released by EA to highlight the pack's development. On April 15, a blog post about the creation of build assets was shown. On April 17, a blog post showcased the pack's new CAS game UI, rocking chair interactions and Plopsy, a in-game online craft store. On April 24, the concept of unlocking knittable CAS assets was shown. On May 5, a blog post surfaced that explained the pack's new radio stations, Focus and Metal. On May 12, beta images were shown of the rocking chair in progress and the details of animating sims on the chairs. On May 21, a blog post explained the Plopsy online store in detail. On May 29, EA released a blog detailing the pack's hair assets. Another deep dive blog was released on June 16, and centered on explaining the knitting feature in detail. On July 16, 2020, the final blog post talked about the creation process behind its CAS assets.
The pack's main gameplay feature is its knitting system, with a knitting skill. Sims are able to knit various usable objects and clothing, and then sell them on Plopsy, an online craft-sharing store akin to Etsy. Knittable clothing will appear in Create a Sim as a preview, but will be locked until a Sim in the current household knits them. Rocking chairs also make a return in this stuff pack, with different interations for various life stages, such as elders being able to "reminisce".
- This section is in need of additional information. You can help The Sims Wiki by expanding this section.
New Radio Stations
- Lord/Lady of the Knits (Creativity) - This Sim has yarn running through his/her veins and will stop at nothing on his/her quest to craft the perfect knittable!
- Humble Knitter - Knit for 5 Hours · Start 3 Knitting Projects while Inspired · Knit on a Rocking Chair
- Thread Setter - Achieve Level 4 Knitting Skill · Knit while listening to Music · Sell a Knitted Object on Plopsy
- Dream Weaver - Complete 10 Excellent Knittables · Successfully Gift 3 Knittables · Achieve Level 6 Knitting Skill · Successfully Show Off your Knitted Sweater to another Sim
- Lord/Lady of the Knits - Donate 5 Knitted Items to Charity · Achieve Level 10 Knitting Skill · Complete 5 Legendary Knittables · Teach another Sim to Knit
- Reward trait: Sacred Knitting Knowledge - Sims with this trait gain enhanced benefits to teaching other Sims how to knit. Sims are also immune to the foul magic of the Sweater Curse, and can dispel afflicted Sims from its snarly grasp. Lastly, Sims have the ability to craft unique knitted items, like a very special companion from a strange land, or The Forbidden Sweater which, honestly, is forbidden for a reason...
Other New Features
- Nifty Knitting Stuff is the first stuff pack in The Sims series to include a new aspiration.
- It is the only content pack for The Sims 4 to date to include CAS items for babies.
- Breakfast for Dinner - Phonometrics
- Briana Billups - Black Keys
- Drew Boles - Slow Run
- Gustave - Bird in a Bee House
- Stuart and Milvia - Grape Jelly
- Unicorn Hunter - After Hours
- High On Fire - Electric Messiah
- Melasine's Key - Zomberribe
- Myrkur - Onde Born
- Necrofortress - Forastu Mordoo
- Tablet of the Reaper - Yob Owb Dahalfords
- The Hu - The Legend Of Mother Swan
- Trivium - Bleed Into Me
- HELP SHAPE A FUTURE STUFF PACK FOR THE SIMS 4!. The Sims Community (November 13, 2019). Retrieved on May 1, 2020.
- THE SIMS 4 COMMUNITY VOTED STUFF PACK: FIRST LOOK AT THE POSSIBLE THEMES. The Sims Community (November 13, 2019). Retrieved on May 1, 2020.
- THE SIMS 4 COMMUNITY VOTED STUFF PACK: ROUND ONE RESULTS. The Sims Community (November 27, 2019). Retrieved on May 1, 2020.
- THE SIMS 4 COMMUNITY STUFF PACK VOTE #2: ART STYLE. The Sims Community (December 23, 2019). Retrieved on May 2, 2020.
- THE SIMS 4 COMMUNITY VOTED STUFF PACK: ROUND TWO RESULTS. The Sims Community (January 10, 2020). Retrieved on May 1, 2020.
- THE SIMS 4 COMMUNITY VOTED STUFF PACK: ROUND THREE RESULTS. The Sims Community (February 14, 2020). Retrieved on May 1, 2020.
- THE SIMS 4 COMMUNITY VOTED STUFF PACK: ROUND FOUR RESULTS. The Sims Community (March 17, 2020). Retrieved on May 1, 2020.
- THE SIMS 4 COMMUNITY STUFF PACK: VOTE FOR PACK NAME & ICON!. The Sims Community (April 20, 2020). Retrieved on May 2, 2020.
- IT’S OFFICIAL: THE NEXT STUFF PACK FOR THE SIMS 4 IS CALLED NIFTY KNITTING!. The Sims Community (May 1, 2020). Retrieved on May 1, 2020.
- BEHIND THE SCENES CONCEPT ART LOOK AT THE UPCOMING THE SIMS 4 COMMUNITY STUFF PACK. The Sims Community (April 15, 2020). Retrieved on May 12, 2020.
- THE SIMS TEAM REVEALS NEW FEATURES COMING WITH THE SIMS 4’S UPCOMING STUFF PACK. The Sims Community (April 17, 2020). Retrieved on May 12, 2020.
- THE SIMS 4 COMMUNITY VOTED STUFF PACK: UNLOCKING KNITTED CLOTHING. The Sims Community (April 24, 2020). Retrieved on May 12, 2020.
- THE SIMS 4 COMMUNITY VOTED STUFF PACK DEEP DIVE: NEW STEREO STATIONS!. The Sims (May 5, 2020). Retrieved on May 5, 2020.
- THE SIMS 4 NIFTY KNITTING: ROCKING CHAIRS PREVIEW. The Sims Community (May 12, 2020). Retrieved on May 12, 2020.
- THE SIMS 4 COMMUNITY VOTED STUFF PACK DEEP DIVE: PLOPSY!. The Sims Forums (May 21, 2020). Retrieved on May 21, 2020.
- THE SIMS 4 NIFTY KNITTING STUFF PACK HAIRS!. The Sims Forums (May 29, 2020). Retrieved on May 29, 2020.
- THE SIMS 4 COMMUNITY VOTED STUFF PACK DEEP DIVE: KNITTING!. The Sims Forums (June 16, 2020). Retrieved on June 16, 2020.
- THE SIMS 4 COMMUNITY VOTED STUFF PACK: THE FORBIDDEN SWEATER & CREATE-A-SIM ART. The Sims Forums (July 16, 2020). Retrieved on July 16, 2020.
|"The Sims" Chronology|
The Sims 4: Eco Lifestyle
June 5, 2020
|The Sims series PC games||Followed by|
The Sims 4: Journey to Batuu
September 8, 2020
The Sims 4: Tiny Living Stuff
January 21, 2020
|The Sims 4 stuff packs||Followed by|
The Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
January 26, 2021
|The Sims series stuff packs|