For the first time ever, players can share the fun with a friend in the co-op buddy mode or take on up to three friends in the Life Moments Game on the Nintendo Wii, upload and download content on XBLA and PSN, including furnishings, houses, and player creations or experience a full life simulation on a handheld with Nintendo DS.
Create Sims with unique personalities, fulfill their desires, and control their lives within a living neighbourhood that you can customise. Unlock all-new Karma Powers and unleash them on your Sims: help your Sim get lucky with the power of “love connector”, bless them with the power of “age defier” or "instant beauty" or curse them with an "instant enemy" or an “alien abduction.” Use these powers wisely, because they may have unexpected results! As you guide your Sims through life, you can complete challenges to unlock additional items, new buildings and landmarks.
- "Create any Sim you can imagine – give them unique personalities! Fine-tune your Sims’ appearances and personalities. Make them evil, romantic, paranoid, kleptomaniacs, or a mix of something completely different."
- "Unlock all-new Karma Powers. Wield the ultimate control over your Sims giving them wealth, beauty, and love—or take it all away with the click of a button."
- "Control your Sims’ destinies – Choose whether or not to fulfill your Sims’ destinies by making their wishes come true—or letting their dreams die. Will your Sims be rock stars, world leaders, or expert thieves? It’s up to you."
- Complete challenges to unlock additional items, new buildings and landmarks
- It has been confirmed by IGN that life cycles will be included. 
- Kids have been confirmed for the console version of the game. 
Xbox 360/PS3 only features
- Build and share online! – Connect through Xbox Live and PSN to share your creations and download content from other players around the world.
- Connect with Facebook and share your achievements with your friends.
Nintendo Wii only features
- New co-op mode where players can join friends. A second player can join the fun as a gnome who can help—or hinder—your Sims. You can also play the new Life Moments Game with up to four players. Bet on life’s most important moments to earn points and garner rewards.
- Some traits, careers, lifetime wishes, and weather will be exclusive to the Wii version of the game.
- The Wii version offers direct control which will give the players the use of the nunchuck controls and the wii remote.
Nintendo DS only features
- The NDS version will allow players to "sculpt" Sims using the stylus.
Good Karma 
Good Karma is Karma that helps your sims and/or other sims. Good Karma includes:
- Divine Intervention – Lose a Sim to death and want to bring back his or her ghost? Now, you can.
- Get Lucky – Give your Sim a higher chance of succeeding with socials, woohoo, raises, promotions, fishing and more.
- Good Times – Remove all bad “moodlets” from an entire household and good times are sure to be had.
- Instant Beauty – A chance to fix those physical features that just aren’t quite right. And then fix them again and again and again. This opens Create a Sim so you can edit facial and body features.
- Super Satisfy – Immediately fulfills all of your Sims’ needs. Your Sim feels completely invigorated and is ready to face the future with newfound hope.
- Giant Jackpot – Shower your Sims with money and help the household gain wealth. Greed can be fun, but it can also haunt your Sim.
- Stroke of Genius – Accelerate your Sims’ skill gain like their cooking, logic or athleticism.
- Miracle Fix – Break your favorite shower or just want a clean house with the snap of a finger? This power will fix that right up for you and more.
Bad Karma 
- Cosmic Curse – Cast instant doom upon any Sim. This curse depletes all of the target Sims’ needs.
- Quake Maker – Terrify Sims with an earthquake, breaking objects and creating trash.
- Epic Fail – Any Sims’ worst nightmare; curse any Sim with clumsy fingers and watch chaos ensue. It might be best to cast it in their house and not yours. Make Sims fight, have gas, get demoted or fired, break things, cause fires, and more.
- Fire Storm – Drop fireballs onto a location to cause destruction and mayhem.
- Poltergeist – Make ghosts appear to haunt Sims.
The trailer for the Sims 3 console was released on June 14th, 2010. It shows many of the original features of the Sims, such as cycling around town and changing Sims' appearance. It also shows the newly-added features, such as 'Karma Powers', such as when a female Sim is exposed outside a restaurant, leaving her totally nude with only the blur to cover her, presumably after doing something bad. It also shows that, unlike previous games, players are allowed to build more than one floor onto buildings. Another feature seems to be the ability to have children in the game, unlike its predecessors: (The Sims 2, The Sims 2: Pets, and The Sims 2 Castaway). Also on the Sims 3 for Wii, Sims can have WooHoo, and players can remove the blur, and it also shows features from The Sims 3 PC Expansion pack Ambitions, although we don't know if they will be in the game. The 2nd E3 trailer features the Kris Allen song, "Live Like We're Dying" and shows the possibility of the ageing system as the trailer shows Sims life memories of when they were younger as well as one point of the trailer showing the 6 life stages from The Sims 3 as well as an elderly man with the Grim Reaper. The ageing system was later confirmed by Sam Player in an interview with Gamespot.
- EA Announces The Sims 3 for Xbox 360, PS3, Wii and DS Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "EA Announces" defined multiple times with different content
- First Details on The Sims 3 for Xbox 360, PS3, Wii and DS