expansion pack for The Sims 3 released on June 1st, 2010. It allows players to become "fearless heroes and ace entrepreneurs". In other words, it's a career oriented expansion pack, a spiritual remake of The Sims 2: Open for Business, but with added activities. Ambitions also appears to be somewhat related to The Sims 2: FreeTime, as well.
The Sims 3: Ambitions will also be available for feature phones, iPhone and iPod touch in late 2010.
A free patch for The Sims 3 was released on May 28, 2010. It introduced tattoos and self-employment to the base game. The new Create a Pattern tool will be a free download just like the Create a World tool, and is rumored to be released July 28, 2010.
"Imagine a world where you can make your Sim anything they want to be. Widen your Sim's horizons with a bunch of killer career opportunities. With The Sims 3: Ambitions, decide whether your Sim will be the brave town hero, cause loads of mischief among their neighbors,or give some style advice. Make your Sim save the day as a brave firefighter, change your town as a leading architect, or live on the edge as a tattoo artist. Will your Sim find success as a billionaire high-tech inventor or eke out a living as a bumbling mad scientist? Will they uncover secrets as a private investigator by dusting for prints or roughing up a suspect for information? Will they walk the runways as a fashion diva with exhilarating and swanky style? Their future is entirely in your hands!"
The Sims 3: Ambitions allows players to pursue a variety of exciting paths and careers in their Sims’ lives that in turn affect their overall gameplay experience and neighborhood. While on the job, the player has direct control over their Sims’ work and can choose how to spend their days. Players can opt to make house calls and save lives as a doctor or choose the devious route and test experimental medicine on patients. Be the heroic firefighter tackling raging infernos or smashing everything in sight at the victim’s home with an axe; take a shot at solving cases as an investigator, nicely convincing sources to divulge secrets or roughing up perpetrators in a dark alley to get information.
Players can now experience some of the most exciting and varied jobs. In The Sims 3: Ambitions, players can choose to hunt down vengeful spirits as the ghost hunter, invent brilliant and potentially destructive gadgets as an inventor, craft glorious masterpieces as a sculptor, and solve riveting cases by any means necessary as an investigator with dozens of cases to solve and numerous clues to find. Additionally, players will be able to change the look and feel of their town by becoming an architect and directly affecting the neighborhood around them leveraging Build and Buy mode. The stylist career and new tattoo system allow players to make over their Sim neighbors in fashionable or catastrophic ways. For the first time, players will be in charge of how their Sims’ career progresses and decide if they will work for good or evil, pursue creative endeavors or technical affairs, climb to the top quickly, or be a slacker. The future of a Sims’ success or failure is entirely in the hands of the player.
- New town: Twinbrook
- New creature: SimBot  A SimBot is created by Sims with a high Inventing skill with an opportunity. It is confirmed that, as well as Inventing SimBots, players can purchase them with 40,000 Lifetime Happiness points.
- New mode: Renovation Mode is a variation of Build and Buy Modes and used by the architect to remodel for clients
- New Build mode abilities: modify the pitch of individual roof sections and add multistory columns.
- 3 new skills:
- Sculpting: Sims can create sculptures out of ice, metal, clay and wood with another Sim posing for them. (Previously seen in The Sims: Bustin' Out)
- Inventing: There seems to be a wide variety of inventions. Servos are back as SimBots, along with a time machine. Sims get scraps for inventions from junkyards, a new type of lot, or by blowing things up.
- Tattooing: Players are taken to the tattoo editor where they can choose tattoos with up to five layers, modify their colors, change the size, modify the opacity, and select where to place it: upper, lower, or full back, neck, ankle, chest, stomach, wrist, shoulder, bicep, or forearm. (Previously seen in The Sims 2 for PS2). Tattooing is a hidden skill.
- Careers & professions
- 5 new professions: architectural designer, firefighter, ghosthunter, investigator, stylist.
- New career track, education and new features added to the existing medicine career track
- Sims can get self-employed by going to the city hall after gaining one skill point in a skill career.
- Control Sim’s actions and interactions while they’re on the job. According to a member of The Sims 3 staff, Sims will even be able to manage their careers to an extent while the player is not controlling them. "Every career has responsibilities and its own active jobs. Each active job will require [the player's] full attention, but there are still options that allow [the player's] Sim to progress and level up while not controlling them."
- On-the-job choices now change the town and affect other Sims as well. Players modify the town’s structure as an architect or set neighborhood fashions as a stylist.
- New lifetime wishes: Home Design Hotshot (Earn 100 top scores for jobs in the Architectural Design profession), Descendant of da Vinci (master painting, sculpting and inventing), Fashion Phenomenon (Reach level 10 in the Stylist profession), Firefighter Super Hero (Save 30 lives on the job), Paranormal Profiteer (Reach level 10 in the Ghost Hunter profession), Pervasive Private Eye (Solve 35 cases on the job), Monster Maker (Create 3 Monsters)
- New Lifetime rewards: Fireproof your home, Career cash booster, Artisan crafter (boosts value of invented/sculpted items) , Professional Simolean Booster, Efficient Inventor, Entrepreneurial Mindset, Suave Seller, Fireproof Homestead, My Best Friend
- Earthquakes appear in this game
- New objects: fire engine vehicle, personal fire extinguisher, detonation packs, tattoo chair, lockpicking kit, trampoline. Collect scrap from the junkyard, and broken objects for inventing
- New upgrades
- six new traits: Savvy Sculptor, Eccentric, Dramatic, Eco-Friendly, Perceptive, and Born Salesman/Saleswoman.
- Addition of the consignment shop as a place for Sims to sell their own items (collectibles, sculptures, etc.)
- Ability to register at City Hall to be self employed in a "Skill Career" for writers, fishermen, and gardeners.
- Overhauled real-estate system that lets the player purchase and upgrade any community lot building.
- New laundry system. It gives Sims a good moodlet. There are washers and dryers available including one dryer that has a special "surprise."
- New Death: death by meteor.
- New vehicle type: Motorcycle
- New lots including the consignment shop, junkyard, bar, laundromat, and fire station.
In May 2010, leaked images of Ambitions surfaced, allegedly through a Russian journalist breaching disclosure policies. These images were distributed more widely by the Brazilian fan website, O Sim BR.net.  The legal ramifications of republishing these images is currently unknown. The images show a clear overhead view of Twinbrook, confirming it as the town in the second trailer (Iron Man parody). They also show an explosion at a junkyard, the inside of a salon, a secret agent in 'disguise', a Sim at a drafting board, several new hair styles, applying tattoos, a clothes line, and a new motorbike.
- While Ambitions contain elements from Open for Business it will not be possible for the player to run their own business in the same style 
- Existing careers, except the medical career, will not be enhanced and their career buildings will remain rabbit holes.
- The town seen in the first video trailer is Riverview, and the town seen in the second trailer (Iron Man parody) is the new town of Twinbrook.
- EA have announced Rise Against, Lady Antebellum, Charice and more will have their songs recorded in Simlish featured in game. 
- The Sims 3: Ambitions Commemorative/Collector's Edition also features a premium 48-page hard-backed 10th Anniversary book, wall poster, sketch book, ‘Build your own Plumbob’, and a digital asset card. It may only be available in Europe and Asia.. The 10th Anniversary book is also available with other games.
- On May 27th The Sims 3: Ambitions went gold. The following day fans started to receive their copies early.
- ↑ The next Expansion Pack has been announced!
- ↑ EA announces featured songs in The Sims 3 Ambitions expansion pack
- ↑ Official announcement detailing contents of game update for 1.12/2.7/3.3
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 The Sims 3: Ambitions Hands-on
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 The Sims 3 Ambitions: exclusive interview with the game's producer, Grant Rodiek (English Translation)
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 6.5 6.6 The Sims 3 Ambitions Q&A - Exclusive First Details
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 Interview with Grant Rodiek, EA Associate Producer von Die Sims 3 Traumkarrieren
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 The Sims 3 Ambitions blog - Changing Your Sims' Neighborhood, One Job at a Time
- ↑ What happens to Sims in workable careers you aren't controlling?
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 The Sims 3: Ambitions Q&A - Creative Careers
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 11.3 The Sims 3: Ambitions Updated Q&A - Heroic Careers
- ↑ EA Gamespress – Grant Rodiek talks about The Sims 3: Ambitions
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 The Sims Ambitions blog - Anybody Can Be a Hero ... or Something Along Those Lines
- ↑ Now Gamer - Ambitious: Sims 3 Ambitions Interview
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 15.2 Sims 3: Ambitions – Revealed
- ↑ User Tidus on UK Sims forums
- ↑ The Sims 3: Ambitions preview
- ↑ Imagens do The Sims 3 Ambições Vazam [ATUALIZADO]
- ↑ Most Existing Careers Will Not be Expanded
- ↑ US PRE-ORDER SHIP DATE CONFIRMED