While in normal gameplay, press CTRL+Shift+C to open the cheat console on Windows and Mac computers. Cheats are not case-sensitive. When capital letters are used in a cheat name, it's to make the name easier to read, not because they are required.
- Lists most of the available commands at the moment (advanced cheats are also displayed with testingcheatsenabled true).
- help [CHEATNAME]
- Displays specific information about the cheat.
- enableLlamas on/off
- Turns on/off the llamas: joke notifications that appear on the top-right corner. Does not affect gameplay.
- Prints a random, weird, and corny joke in the console. Does not affect gameplay.
- fullscreen on/off
- Toggles between full-screen and windowed mode.
- fps on/off
- Turns the frame rate display in the upper right corner on or off.
- fadeObjects on/off
- Toggles whether objects fade when the camera gets close to them. Does not apply to Sims.
- Moviemakercheatsenabled true/false (must have testingcheats enabled)
- Lets the player give Sims some options to pose.
- hideHeadlineEffects on/off
- Shows or hides talk/thought balloons and the plumbbob above Sim heads.
- constrainFloorElevation true/false
- Allows terrain adjustment regardless of objects/Sims/etc. on them.
- disableSnappingToSlotsOnAlt on/off
- When on, objects will not snap to slots while holding ALT.
- moveObjects on/off
- Removes footprint limitation for all object placement in Buy Mode and Build Mode. Removes limitations placed on hand tool for when objects are in use, or are normally non-movable objects. Allows for the intersection of objects and off center placement. Note that using this cheat allows you to delete objects that normally cannot be deleted, such as Sims, the mailbox, and the garbage can. Be careful when deleting these objects, because they are normally not retrievable once deleted. When Sims are accidentally deleted with this cheat, the only way to retrieve them back is to go into Edit Town mode, split the deleted Sim from the household, and merge him/her back.
- placeFriezes on/off
- Allows use of foundations on top of tiled floors.
- RBBB on/off or RestrictBuildBuyInBuildings true/false
testingCheatsEnabledcheat enabled. All properties with a mark of public spaces (Normally, lobbies and entrance halls) to the construction and purchase mode to edit.
- enableLotLocking true/false
testingCheatsEnabledcheat enabled. Allows the player to lock / unlock a lot to enable editing from the Edit Town mode. Examples of locked lots are tombs, ports, and diving areas.
- resetSim [FIRSTNAME LASTNAME]
- Resets the Sim with neutral motives, no moodlets, and teleports Sim back home. Useful if they got stuck. Very useful if they just died and have not disappeared yet, like a Sim dies at the corner and sits there for weeks without the Grim Reaper coming to pick them up, and it makes it so they haven't died.
- Exits the game.
- Adds §1,000 to active household.
- Adds §50,000 to active household.
- unlockOutfits on/off
- Enter this before going into CAS in order to use career and NPC outfits.
- Allows Sims to buy lots for free.
- testingCheatsEnabled true/false
- Enables the cheats below and the ability to shift-click Sims to add them to the current family, remove moodlets by CTRL-clicking them, edit their traits, age them up or edit them in CAS. Also allows the current household's mailbox to be shift-clicked for more debug cheats, such as "Make everyone know me". With this cheat it's also possible to drag relationship levels and needs up and down, which is a quick way to make your Sim die of starvation or become enemies with another Sim. In the "Ambitions" expansion, this cheat also lets you slide the Job Performance bar up or down, allowing you to get a Sim to the top of their Profession in a few seconds.
- Note: to use the cheats below, testingCheatsEnabled must be on.
- Makes a toddler who grows up to child become an NPC (non-playable character) in the household.
- familyfunds [HOUSEHOLD] [AMOUNT]
- Sets the amount of Simoleons of the family to [AMOUNT]. For example, 'familyfunds Landgraab 10000' sets the family funds of the Landgraab household to 10,000 Simoleons, even if they originally had 50,000 simoleons.
- Note:If a space is used in a household's name (such as De Luca), the name must be surrounded by quotation marks. The cheat for the De Luca family would look like this: familyfunds "De Luca" 50000. Also, this cheat will not work if there are multiple households with the same name.
- maptags on/off
- Toggles map tags on or off. After the release of update 1.7, an option was added allowing the player to hide map tags without this cheat.
- discotags on/off
- Makes the maptags change color and blink.
- playsounds on/off
- Enables or disables all audio features.
- recordvideo small/medium/large low/moderate/high/max
- Starts recording video with specified size and quality.
- speed [0-8]
- Changes game speed from 0 (normal speed) and 8 (slowest possible).
- buydebug on/off
- Unlocks a Buy Mode slot with many debug objects such as Butterfly, Beetle, Gem, Meteor generators, mature Plants, the Mysterious Mr. Gnome, the toy box's toys, etc.
Shift-clicking on a particular object when testingCheatsEnabled is true will bring up a special debug pie menu. This pie menu isn't as extensive as it was in The Sims 2, but there are some useful cheats.
The following are the objects and their top level cheats. Cheats with a "..." have more levels that may not be listed for brevity.
- Make All Happy
- Sets mood to Max. (Removes most negative Moodlets and maximizes Needs).
- Make Friends For Me
- Gives the Sim a number of random friends from the neighborhood.
- Make Needs Static
- Needs are maximized and do not decay on their own. The pie menu changes to "Make Needs Dynamic".
- Make Needs Dynamic
- Needs return to normal decay rate. The pie menu changes to "Make Needs Static".
- Make Me Know Everyone
- Makes Sim know everyone in the home neighborhood, and the World Adventures neighborhoods.
- Force Visitor
- Forces a random visitor to arrive.
- Force NPC...
- Forces a particular NPC to arrive.
- Set Career...
- Sets the current Sim's career to the specified path, branch, and rank.
- Supernatural population control (requires Supernatural)
- Gives the option to remove or add supernaturals to the game
- Work Place
- Force Opportunity
- Seems to only force work-related opportunities, no skill related opportunities are caused.
- Force Event
- Force All Events
- Forces every possible event from workplace.
- All Community Lots and Neighbours' Houses (requires Ambitions)
- Spawn Job ...
- Note #1: This is only available to Sims employed in Professions or in the Medical Career.
- Note #2: It also depends on the Profession or Career. For example, Architectural Designers work only in clients' homes, while Doctors can hold Clinics in any Community Lot.
- On Floor
- Teleport me here
- Teleports Sim to that location
- Build/Buy on this lot (after patch 1.7) Note: Clicking either enables both actions (i.e. Click Buy and you can still access Build mode on the lot).
- Seasons... (requires Seasons)
- Note: With this action, players can control various aspects of weather within the game, such as wind intensity, what type of precipitation will come next and how intense it will be, and current temperature.
- All Sims
- Trigger Age Transition
- Add to active household/family
- Favorite Music... (after patch 1.7)
- Edit Sim in CAS (after certain patch)
- Prior to patch 1.38, occults don't have this option. However, some life states are still disabled from being edited in CAS through this cheat, such as Mummy and SimBot.
- Edit Sim in CAS will not work if the targeted Sim is pregnant or wearing their work uniform.
- Active Sim
- Modify Traits for Active Sim
- Non-Household Sim
- Add to Active Household
- Any Object (after patch 1.7)
- Object... Delete It
If testingcheatsenabled true is on, using CTRL + click on any moodlet in the moodlet panel will eliminate it. If it is motive induced, the bar related to the negative moodlet will be filled completely, just like when it is subject to a "Cure" by the Moodlet Manager.
Entering testingcheatsenabled true on the load/new game screen, enables CTRL + click between the chest and the points in the lifetime happiness to add additional lifetime happiness of 500. (Note: The click works for all the mouse buttons, clicking all of them rapidly at the same time will make the lifetime happiness points increase faster.)
When testingcheatsenabled true is activated, you can raise or lower your Sim's current motive by clicking on any motive and then dragging your mouse to the left or right. This function can be also used to raise or lower relationship on any Sims. You can also adjust your Sim's progress in any profession if Ambitions is installed. However you will only see the motives change if you are in an unpaused game. When paused you can still do this action, but it'll take effect only after you resumed the game.