You can download it through The Sims 3's Launcher, or directly download from EA server here.
Before installing an update for The Sims 3, an Expansion Pack, or a Stuff Pack, it is a good idea to run through the following checklist to ensure your game continues to work smoothly.
If you have any questions about the below steps, please visit the Technical Support forum on the official Sims 3 community found at this URL: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/forums/show/10.page
Step 1: Disable Custom Content
Custom content is all Sims content that did not come from an official The Sims 3 Update, The Sims 3 Store, Expansion Pack, or Stuff Pack. Custom Content is created by 3rd Party Developers that are not regulated by Electronic Arts or The Sims 3 Development Team and may not work with new updates. Custom Content may cause the game to behave unexpectedly or not function entirely.
To disable your custom content, undo whatever you did to install this content to get your game back into an unmodified state. If you placed it in a Sims 3 directory folder, move it to a new folder that is outside your Sims 3 file directory. Your Sims 3 file directory can be found using the paths listed below:
- On Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\USER\My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3
- On Windows Vista/7/8: C:\Users\USER\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3
- On Mac: ~/Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims/
Once you have installed the official update you may re-enable your custom content. If you experience problems, disable it again until the 3rd party developer updates their content to work with the official Update, Expansion Pack, or Stuff Pack.
Step 2: Back Up your Save Files
It’s always a good precaution to back up your save files before installing an Expansion Pack, Update, or Stuff Pack. To do this, copy the “.sims3” folders found in the Saves folder onto your desktop or another file directory.
Your Sims 3 Saves folder can be found using the paths listed below:
- On Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\USER\My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Saves
- On Windows Vista/7/8: C:\Users\USER\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Saves
- On Mac: ~/Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims/Saves
After the Update is installed, run the game to verify your saves still function correctly.
Step 3: Let the Update Complete Entirely
Updates can sometimes be rather large and may take a while to download and install completely. Cancelling the update before it has completed may cause unexpected problems, so it is always best to let it finish entirely. Do not close the Launcher until you have confirmed the update is completely installed, as this will cancel the update.
- Base Game
- Updated collection journal to track collectables.
- New Population Controls
- New population controls have been added that allow you to select/deselect options for your game.
- These options are game-wide, so you will not be able to customize individual saves.
- If you have The Sims 3: Late Night installed, you will also have the option to turn off Celebrities and Vampires.
- If you have The Sims 3: Pets installed, you will also have the option to turn off Horses and Pets.
- If you have The Sims 3: Supernatural installed, you will also be able to Turn off Witches, Fairies and Werewolves.
- Build/Buy Mode
- New decorative drainpipes, roof cornices, wall patterns, a bookcase, and neighborhood rock objects.
- Patch 1.38 features an addition to build/buy mode that creates the ability to view the entire Sims 3 Store in game.
- This option is not optional, but you will not see it unless you choose the “See only Store items” button. Disabling Shop Mode will not rid this feature either.
- This feature also provides the player's Simpoint balance
- Create a Sim
- Patch 1.38 adds brand new Skin Tones and Sliders for your Sims. Included is a “Rainbow” like skin tone which allows you to create very unique Sims.
- The new Face sliders that have been added are: Ear Orbit, Ear points, Jaw Underbite, Brow Definition and Nostril Rotate
- Online Feature Updates
- Send or receive a surprise gift box to and from your friends! It could contain anything from a chunk of Simoleons to a painting, or even a car!
- Receive an Elixir from Supernatural players containing magical properties that will affect your Sim’s lives!
- Late Night
- New moodlets and social interactions for Vampires.