|The Sims: Vacation|
|Box art for The Sims: Vacation|
|Release date(s)||March 25, 2002|
|Platform(s)||Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X|
The Sims: Vacation (released as The Sims: On Holiday in the UK, Ireland, China & Scandinavia) is the fourth expansion pack for The Sims. The game associates the Vacation Island sub-neighborhood with the pre-existing base neighborhoods. It was released on March 25, 2002 worldwide.
- Snowman kits
- Sandcastle kits
- Carnival games
- Archery ranges
- Volleyball courts
- Fishing pier
- Snow slide
- Vacation Director Kana
- New type of townie: Families of "vacationers" or "tourists" can be encountered on Vacation Island. Uniquely amongst the townies in The Sims, they have random last names (as opposed to generic ones that puns on their function within the game), some nominal familial relationships, and being both children as well as adult Sims. Tourist families usually consist of 3 to 4 Sims, with at least one adult and one child in every party. Sometimes a tourist family will consist of just two Sims - a single parent and an only child - although this is rare.
Other new features
- New interactions: Play fishing, archery, snowboarding and beach volleyball while on vacation/holiday!
Features and Allusions to other Expansion Packs
If The Sims: Unleashed is installed, pet beds and food bowls will be added to vacation lots, however sometimes the game won't add them so the player will need to add them to the vacation lot if they wish to send a family with a pet to the island.
- The Sims: Vacation is the first expansion pack to not have the intro video, along with Superstar, Makin' Magic and The Sims: Complete Collection.
- The Sims: Vacation is the only vacation themed expansion that allows Sims to stay on vacation for an indefinite amount of time. Alongside that, it is also the only vacation themed expansion that allows characters to sleep and bathe wherever they want, meaning they can access any room in the hotel with no allocated room set to them, treating the hotel more like a home lot.
- It should also be noted that in The Sims 4, sims can stay at a rental lot indefinitely but they will have to keep extending their vacation via phone or computer, whereas sims can stay at a hotel or campground without checking out or having to extend their vacation, instead being charged for another night's stay if they don't check out after 11 AM.
- The Sims: Vacation is the first expansion pack in the franchise that allows Sims to stay at a lot other than home.
- The Sims: Vacation is the first non seasonal based pack in the franchise to include weather, the second being The Sims 4: Snowy Escape.
- The Sims: Vacation is the first pack in the franchise to introduce a second pre-made male child, which is one of the many random vacationers on Vacation Island. The first male pre-made child is Daniel Pleasant.
- The box art color was the same color as the one on the box art of The Sims 4: Island Living, which is funny to note as both packs have beach and tropical island themes.
- In The Sims 3: University Life, there is a comic called Archie Archer. This is likely a reference to the character that appears in this game.
|The Sims: Vacation Load Music|
|"The Sims" Chronology|
The Sims: Hot Date
November 14, 2001
|The Sims series expansion packs||Followed by|
The Sims: Unleashed
September 23, 2002