|The Sims: Unleashed|
|Box art for The Sims: Unleashed|
|Release date(s)||September 23, 2002|
|Themes||Pets, Gardening, Cajun|
|Patches and updates|
The Sims: Unleashed (released September 25, 2002) is the fifth expansion pack for The Sims. It adds many new features, such as farming, going to community lots, and about 125 new objects as well as 5 brand new careers. However, the main new feature is the ability to own pets: cats, dogs, birds, fish, or reptiles. The concept of owning pets are later reintroduced in The Sims 2: Pets, The Sims 3: Pets, The Sims 4: Cats & Dogs and The Sims 4: My First Pet Stuff. Its theme of gardening and farming crops later reappeared in The Sims 2: Seasons, The Sims 3 and The Sims 4.
The Sims have pets!
Give your Sims the chance to add a furry friend to the family. Housebreak your pets, train them to do tricks, buy them toys, treats, and accessories, and do your best to keep them from destroying the house!
- Pet beds, baths, bowls, toys
- Grand Delusions Mask Display
- El Bandito, a raccoon
- Henri LeStanc, a skunk
- Miss Lucille
- Tidy Heidi
- Travelin’ Joe
- Animal Control Evan
- Gardener Bob
- Sir Will of Orinda
- Giuseppi Renni and Mr. McCutch, his monkey
- W.C. Friendly
New building themes
- French Quarter
Other new features
- Adopt Pets: Adopt a cat or dog from the local adoption center.
- New skills for pets: Train your Pets so that they can have skills like housebreaking, hunting, obedience, and tricks.
- New interactions: Rubbing, playing, clapping, praising, and scolding. Pets can even enter a pet show.
- Inventory: Sims also have an inventory, where Sims store objects such as pet collars, vegetables (grown from gardens or bought from a market), and pet treats.
- Build on vacant lots: Players can now build houses on vacant residential lots, and can modify unoccupied houses.[n 1]
- The Sims: Unleashed is featured in episode 3 of the 4th season of Six Feet Under.
- There is a bug in the game, sometimes referred to as the Upside-down head syndrome or Upside-down face disease (among other names), which causes the Sim icons to change into incorrect images, or for the Sim heads to become invisible. The bug is caused by corrupted character files. The only verified solution is to delete the character file, though if a backup of the character file exists, it can be imported into the game after the corrupted file is deleted.
- The Sims Unleashed is the only game in The Sims series to change its intro video.
- The zydeco music introduced in The Sims: Unleashed was written and performed by the Zydeco Flames, a real-life zydeco band. They were the first music artists who re-dubbed their original songs into Simlish for the game.
- This is the only expansion pack in the franchise to be rated G8+ in Australia. The base game was also rated G8+.
|The Sims: Unleashed Theme|
|"The Sims" Chronology|
The Sims: Vacation
March 25, 2002
|The Sims series expansion packs||Followed by|
The Sims: Superstar
May 15, 2003