Darling's Gender Edit
Since this seems to be controversial somehow, I'd like to start a discussion. Darling Walsh is female in the game and game generated dialogue will use female pronouns to refer to Darling, so I don't think it's only reasonable to reflect that on the Wiki. Anyone can play this Sim however they like, but not everyone can have their interpretation reflected on the character page. As a compromise there could be a trivia section that explains how different players view Darling. 👽 Stella Terrano 20:30, February 14, 2017 (UTC)
- Could someone post the bio for this Sim onto this talk page so we can all see for ourselves? Unless there's substantial evidence to believe that this Sim is transgender, they should be listed as the gender the game labels them as. Otherwise, listing the gender as "Ambiguous" will suffice. —k6ka 🍁 (Talk · Contributions) 23:45, February 14, 2017 (UTC)
- There are no individual bios in the Sims 4. I don't have the English version of the game installed but the French version uses female forms. ("froid" would be masculin, "froide" is feminin, "actif" would be masculin, "active" is feminin. The same happens in English too sometimes with blond/blonde for example.) Chance cards use female pronouns for her and if she ages up she can become pregnant. I think a lot of people don't realise that she's a girl because she has short hair and boyish clothes. 👽 Stella Terrano 01:17, February 15, 2017 (UTC)
- Well, we know that the game considers Darling to be a female. Aside from the hairstyle and clothing, there's no concrete reason to believe that Darling may be transgender. We have pretty much always listed a Sim's gender based on what the game treats them as, but there are some odd exceptions, usually as a result of strange quirks that are only seen in exceptional Sims, and almost always only visible behind the scenes with a tool like SimPE. For example, Mrs. CrumpleBottom has her gender listed as "ambiguous" because she appear to be female, but the game technically treats her as a male. We don't know what the developers were thinking when they did that (We do know that attempting to "correct" her gender using SimPE causes game corruption), but she clearly looks like a female in-game. In this case, however, I very much doubt that Darling's gender was a mistake or some sort of an Easter egg the developers had slipped in as they did with Mrs. CrumpleBottom. —k6ka 🍁 (Talk · Contributions) 01:26, February 15, 2017 (UTC)
- The Problem with treating the gender based on how the game treats them is sims 4 does not have androngyous/ambigous/non-binary gender programmed into it. Darling is clearly non-binary. It is pointless to argue the matter. I hope EA adds in non binary option and retroactively changes Darling and similiar sims to that gender so y'all can stop fighting against this. 126.96.36.199 (talk) 04:08, September 15, 2019 (UTC)
I dont have this expansion pack, but just want to give some opinion. as far as I know, "ambiguous" gender only appear in sims 2 and only appear on some of npc/some of prebuild ghost/some of character that not supposed be playable at the start of the game. technically, there is no "ambiguous" gender for sim that can be played normally in all sims game, the game always clear assigning every sim gender male or female. so if someone remove this sim gender from female to none, that is not a good edit.
the easiest way to confirm this sim gender is age this sim, make this sim has romantic relationship with 1 male and 1 female sim, and see where "try for baby" option is show. if the option shown while with male sim, so this sim gender is confirmed to be female and vice versa.
The consensus reached here so far agrees that Darling should be referred to as "female" with a note saying that some players regard her as being non-binary. I have reprotected the page for another two weeks as IP editors continue to edit against consensus. Please keep in mind that consensus is established through discussion and not via edit warring on the page. —k6ka 🍁 (Talk · Contributions) 19:35, March 4, 2017 (UTC)
- Stella Terrano and PhanAndDil is confirming this sim gender is a female. one of the proof Stella Terrano provide is a chance card that use female pronouns for this sim. because the game always clear assigning every sim gender male or female and there is no "ambiguous" gender for sim that can be played normally in all sims game. I agree this sim is female. Wiryawan310 (talk) 01:51, March 5, 2017 (UTC)
So, I read the entire discussion and nobody even mentioned that they regard Darling as non-binary. Some people thought she was male but she's really female with a preference for masculine clothes. I don't understand why this sort of speculation would be included in this article when speculation is removed from all other pages. What's the reason for including speculation on this specific page? Because it's clearly not based on consensus... —Gvaudoin 💬 21:09, February 9, 2019 (UTC)
- I don't have City Living, so I don't have a definite opinion, but I will say that I think that speculation could be removed from the page. Speculation does not belong in articles (in my opinion, at least), and I don't really see why she would be considered non-binary or transgender solely based on her body shape and clothing preference. Not to mention, the way the sentence is phrased implies not very many people actually think so. Mariaw (talk) 15:41, May 2, 2019 (UTC)