It is possible that Shang Simla is named after the fictional Himalayan utopia "Shangri-La" described in the novel Lost Horizon.
Shang Simla is a peaceful community set near a mountainous area of China near the Great Wall. It was founded by a group of monks with an ethos of discipline and Martial Arts. It is full of colorful flora, such as Chinese elms and cherry trees, growing on deep green hills. This sub-hood features activities and items that compliment Chinese culture and architecture. Shang Simla is the hub for training in the Martial Arts skill introduced in World Adventures. Sims can also explore landmark tombs and hidden tombs throughout this neighborhood, there are numerous adventures to be had. There are numerous premade families in Shang Simla, although they all unfortunately lack description texts. Description text on some objects introduced in World Adventures expand on the lore of Shang Simla, depicting characters such as painter Han Shin.
A trip to Shang Simla costs §1300 for the first Sim and §1000 for each additional Sim, making it the cheapest vacation destination.
The name "Shang Simla" may be referencing Shangri-La.
- Sims will bow to each other when greeting, instead of shaking hands.
- Sims who live here all have the inheritable Asian Culture hidden trait. This makes Sims eat with chopsticks.
- Players' Sims can compete in a Shang Simla exclusive Martial Arts competition, calling opponents similar to the ranked chess competition.
- Lots here make liberal use of the new pagoda roof style.
- National dishes include Stir Fry and Egg Rolls, new recipes for the Cooking skill.
- Fireworks. Going to Map Mode after setting one off will enable the player to see the display.
- Bake Fortune Cookies with Fortune Factory Fortune Cookie Maker (§1900) and read the fortune inside as a Sim eats it. Get moodlets if the fortune is good or bad.
- Martial Arts like the Sheng Hai Training Dummy and the Board Breaker.
- Tomb survival items like the Shower-in-a-Can and dried food.
- Cheap cameras for developing the Photography skill.
- Books that are exclusive to Shang Simla, including Martial Arts skill books.
- Abandoned Barn
- Camps Peony, Orchid, Chrysanthemum, and Lotus
- Emperor's Plaza
- Han's Orchard
- Hot Springs
- Phoenix Academy
- Scholar’s Garden
- Shang Simla Base Camp
- The Dragon's Maw
- Dragon Springs
- Halls of the Lost Army
- Resolute Fist Retreat
- The Temple of Heaven
- The Terracotta Army
All Sims among these families have the hidden Asian Culture trait. NPCs generated in Shang Simla do not have this trait, instead they have the hidden trait connected to their job (eg. Pizza Appreciator for Pizza Delivery), and other Sims such as Explorers have no hidden traits at all.
Videosthumb|left|300px|The music of Shang Simla
Shang Simla shots