Sad is an emotion available in The Sims 4. It occurs when a Sim has gone through a somewhat traumatic experience. This emotion can evolve into very sad. Low social need may make Sims sad and a death of a family member will make them very sad. Having a new disappointing sibling can make younger kids sad as well.
Sims may cry frequently when sad.
Interactions and Activities
Sims will only have a chance to use these interactions and do these activities while sad.
- Complain about Problems
- Ask for Advice
- Gloomy Compliment
- Attempt to Flirt
- Send sad text (using their phone) - more often than not, the recipient messages back inviting the sad Sim to their place to be cheered up.
- Mock Sadness (children and teens only)
- Give Yourself a Pep Talk (Mirror)
- Blog About Feelings (Computer)
- Read Obituaries (Computer)
- Call Sadness Hotline (Phone)
- Play with Emotion (Violin)
- Express Melancholy Thoughts (Private journal - children and teens only)
- Swim Around Sadly (Pool)
- Cry it Out (Bed/Closet)
- Water Plant with Tears (Plants - Requires Level 2 Gardening Skill)
- Cry (Self - Toddlers, children, and teens only. Only if the Sim has the Uncontrolled Emotions Trait when they age up to young adult)
- Ask Sim for Food And Drink (Toddlers only)
Interactions on Sad Sims
Sims will only have a chance to use these interactions with a sad Sim.
- Try to Cheer Up
- Console About Death
- You'll Be Okay (To toddlers, children, and teens only)
- Discuss Sad Mood
Supportive Traits and Events
These traits affect how often a Sim is sad
- Family Oriented Sims will become sad if they do not interact with family members for some time
- Good Sims will become sad when interacting with an Evil Sim
- Jealous Sims will get +1 moodlet if they are near a couple
- Insider Sims will become sad if they do not interact with friends for a time
- Ambitious Sims will be very sad when losing a job or getting fired from their job
- Outgoing Sims get a sad moodlet when they haven't interacted with others
- Clingy (toddlers only) - toddlers with this trait will more likely be sad than angry if their basic needs (e.g. hunger, energy, fun, attention) are not met or if their parents leave the house. Clingy toddlers who become ravenous will be very sad but the timer to resolve their needs does not appear
- Angelic (toddlers only) - toddlers with this trait will more likely be sad than angry if their basic needs (e.g. hunger, energy, fun, attention) are not met. Angelic toddlers who become ravenous will be very sad but the timer to resolve their needs does not appear
- Vegetarian Sims will be sad when eating meat food
- Cat Lovers will become sad when a cat friend dies or gets taken away
- Dog Lovers will become sad when a dog friend dies or gets taken away
These events may lead to a sad moodlet regardless of a Sim's traits
- Witnessing a death - Sims will get a +5 very sad moodlet for approximately 48 hours. This happens even if the grieving Sim does not have a close relationship to the deceased Sim. It is very difficult to overcome this emotion. Family members who were not in the same room as the deceased Sim at the time of death are not affected
- Mourning a grave - Sims will get a sad moodlet for four hours after mourning someone's grave
- Break-up/divorce. Toddlers and children become heartbroken if they watch a break-up/divorce.
- The victims of break-up/ divorce will feel sad and very sad respectively. However, noncommittal sims feel happy instead.
- Unsuccessful social events - host Sims who do not get at least a bronze prize at the end of the event
- Tired Of Words (toddlers only if parents taught toddlers to talk)
- Newborn babies (toddlers and children sometimes get a sad moodlet when they meet a new younger sibling)
- Unsuccessful chance card outcomes from school and work
- Unsuccessful Try for Baby (young adult and adult female Sims only; females with the hates children trait will be happy instead)
- Low social need (only happens to Children, Teens, Young Adults, Adults, and Elders except for Loner Sims)
- Potty accident (toddlers only) - this can happen even if a toddler's potty skill is at level 3 (the maximum level)
- Low hygiene (toddlers only)
- Too much time doing skill-boosting activities (toddlers only)
- Having nightmares (toddlers only)
- Child Sim or younger whisked away to safety
- Losing a game (especially Don't Wake the Llama)
- Getting fired
- Losing a Basketball Game (only happens to Gloomy Sims; other Sims will get angry instead)
- Romance Guru
- Homesickness from going on vacation
- Romance Festival (4th time the Sim gets showered with petals)
- Failing a protest
- Being near a smashed dollhouse (makes child Sims and childish sims cry. It also upsets the toddlers)
- Getting kicked out of a club (only happens to children Sims as teens, adults and elder get the angry emotion instead)
- Fake bad news (this affects Sims with the gloomy trait)
- Having a dream crushed too many (makes toddlers cry)
- Destroyed School project
- Viewed Sad Painting
- Being near a Tragic Clown
- When the toddler's fun or hygiene is low
- Mood Swing (Teens only and Sims who have the uncontrolled emotions trait)
- Voodoo Dolls on Fizzle
- Pets being taken away by social worker either neglected or put pet up for adoption interaction
- Scared of Thunderstorms (only happens to toddler's as children will instead get Scared)
- When timeouts end for children and teens (although they may get bored in some cases)
Sad paintings (made by Sims having sad emotion or having the Expressionist Aspiration Reward Trait) have the sadness aura and, if Emotional Aura is enabled, they affect Sims that are in the same room as the painting.
Careers and Jobs
No careers benefit from the Sim being sad or have it as their ideal emotion.
- The Sad emotion has two stings associated with it: A short one, and a longer one similar to the Very Sad sting.
- When the game first came out, Very Sad was called "Depressed".