The neighborhood is built around a single road shaped like a square going up a large hill. A river runs through the area, and a wooden sign promoting "The Sims" (or Sim People in the Asian version) is situated at the bottom of the map which displays the game's credits when selected. A small avenue connects Sim Lane to an another road. In The Sims: Unleashed, Sim Lane is incorporated into Old Town and comprises the upper-right-most quadrant of the expanded map, with the road that Sim Lane connects to revealed to be Elm Street. The large sign is relocated to an island much further down the river.
The Sims: Livin' Large and The Sims: House Party introduce multiple new neighborhoods identical to this one, but without the houses and Sims featured in Neighborhood 1. Neighborhood 2 is the only other populated neighborhood, featuring the Mashuga family.
Before being referred to as part of Old Town, the neighborhood had no official name and the community often referred to it as "SimVille". The area is suggested to have been redeveloped into Pleasantview by the time of The Sims 2, while The Sims 3 suggests that the town was originally Sunset Valley.
In Asian locale versions of The Sims, several Sims are redesigned with an Asian appearance, and the houses feature Japanese-style walls and black rooftops. In Europe, most of the houses were redesigned to have terracotta rooftops, peach stucco, and the roads lack sidewalks and road markings.
Newbie family (7 Sim Lane)
- Bob Newbie (Male, Aquarius), "Bob is new to the neighborhood. He needs help getting familiar with his new environment. Can you help him get through this tutorial?"
- Betty Newbie (Female, Aries), "Betty is new to the neighborhood. She is just getting familiar with her new environment. Can you help her learn to interact with her new home?"
Goth family (5 Sim Lane)
- Mortimer Goth (Male, Taurus), "Cheerful and outgoing, Mortimer brings his old country upbringing into the modern age. He has an unusual fondness for insects."
- Bella Goth (Female, Cancer), "Elegant and athletic are two qualities that describe Bella. She enjoys a variety of activities from golf to miniature golf."
- Cassandra Goth (Female, Cancer), "Cassandra is the quiet, mysterious type. Nobody ever knows quite what she's thinking."
In the graves of the Goth residence:
Family bin families
- Jeff Pleasant (Male, Cancer), "Jeff and his family are new to the neighborhood. Can you help Jeff provide for his family and fulfill his lifelong goal of being the first man to walk on Mars?"
- Diane Pleasant (Female, Aries), "Diane and her family are new to the neighborhood. Can you help Diane set her family on its way up the social ladder?"
- Daniel Pleasant (Male, Sagittarius), "Daniel and his family are new to the neighborhood. Can you help him make new friends and succeed in school?"
- Jennifer Pleasant (Female, Sagittarius), "Jennifer and her family are new to the neighborhood. Can you help her make new friends and succeed in school?"
- Chris Roomies (Female, Taurus), "Chris and her roommate Melissa are new to the neighborhood. Can you help them make friends?"
- Melissa Roomies (Female, Aquarius), "Melissa and her roommate Chris are new to the neighborhood. Can you help them make friends?"
- Michael Bachelor (Male, Libra), "Michael is just out of college and he doesn't know what he wants to do with his life. Can you help Michael succeed?"