A neighborhood in The Sims series is a place that consists of lots. Initially, neighborhoods were small (10 lots in The Sims base game) and consisted of only residential lots, but later expansions for The Sims allowed community lots. This pattern was continued into The Sims 2; with Open for Business, Sims could buy community lots and establish businesses there. Residential lots could also be rezoned into dormitories (with The Sims 2: University), hotels (The Sims 2: Bon Voyage), and apartments (The Sims 2: Apartment Life). The Sims 3 introduced rabbit holes, public buildings where Sims work, shop, attend class, eat, or attend events, that the user cannot see into.
- In The Sims, the first and only neighborhood is SimLane.
- In Livin' Large and The Sims Deluxe Edition, the multiple neighborhood feature is introduced. Every neighborhood is the same as Neighborhood 1, except that in the next neighborhoods (after Neighborhood 2) Sim Lane will be empty. The neighborhoods added are neighborhoods 2, 3, 4 and 5.
- Unleashed introduces Old Town, a bigger and much wider version of Sim Lane, and is also the same as above.
- Makin' Magic introduces Magic Town, the only other neighborhood that Sims can live in, but its lots must be bought with MagiCoins.
The Sims 2
- University allows you to add a university sub-neighborhood, Sim State University, La Fiesta Tech, and Académie Le Tour onto one of your base neighborhoods.
- Seasons added a new neighborhood, Riverblossom Hills, which was added to help the player explore Seasons.
- Bon Voyage allows you to add the vacation sub-neighborhoods, Twikkii Island, Three Lakes and Takemizu Village.
- Freetime added a new neighborhood, Desiderata Valley, created so the player can learn more about hobbies.
- The Sims 2 allows for players to create all-new neighborhoods from scratch, coming with neighborhood terrain templates that can be used by players. Also, SimCity 4 can be used to create custom terrains.
The Sims 3
- Riverview is a free downloadable town offered from The Sims 3 store.
- World Adventures allows you to add exotic Sub-neighborhoods, Al Simhara, Champs Les Sims and Shang Simla.