The Sims 3Edit
Metals are found in ore form and can be smelted into ingots for §40.
Sometimes the foundry will return an ore, saying that it is actually a Mysterious Mr. Gnome in disguise.
Smelted ingots are worth 175% of their original cost, and so the raw metal must be worth §54 to offset the §40 cost of smelting and break even relative to selling the ore alone.
The "breaking even" equation is as follows:
0.75 * X - §40 = Profit
With X being the value of the ore. Plugging in §54 yields a profit of §0.5; thus this is the lowest whole number that does not lose money.
Some consider §23 as "breaking even," but this only covers the cost of smelting the ore. In order to fully "break even", it must factor in all costs, including the value of the ore itself. Plugging into the above equation yields a net loss of -§22.75. Even disregarding the cost of the original ore, to sell the raw ore gives §23 and costs nothing, for a profit of §23, whereas mailing it to the smelter, costs §40 and makes §40.25, for a profit of §0.25. From a strict Simoleon standpoint, it is far more worthwhile to sell a raw ore up to §54, at which point it becomes worthwhile to smelt it.
However, smelting also provides the chance of getting a Mysterious Mr. Gnome, worth §1000, as well as the chance of duplicating the smelted bars if the sim has completed the Metal Collector challenge. This is a gamble that may make it worth smelting ores that are less than §54.
|Raw||Ingot||Metal||Rarity||Weight||Raw Value||Ingot Value||EP||Where?|
|Mummitomium||Rare||150-450||§750-1200||§1312-2100||Egypt, garbage cans in base neighborhood.|
25% more than the worth of the 8 metals used
Buydebug Metal Spawner/Transfiguration/Sculpting Station (rare)
Transfiguration requirements: Between 2 and 4 different metals.
|Garbage cans in base neighborhood.
Buydebug Metal Spawner/Transfiguration
Transfiguration Requirements: At least 5 different metals.
May be dug up by dogs[TS3P]
|Woohooium||Rare||1-52||§500-750||§875-1313||Sculptor's Workbench (Ambitions), Consignment store (Ambitions), Relic Shops (World Adventures), garbage cans in France (World Adventures)
May be dug up by dogs[TS3P]
The Sims 4Edit
- This section is in need of additional information. You can help The Sims Wiki by expanding this section.
There are 20 metals in the base game and 2 in Get to Work. They are collected through exploring various rocks in the world. Metals can be sent to the Geo Council to be broken down into elements for §20. One of the possible elements that the metal can be broken down into will arrive in the mail the following day. In Get to Work, scientists can analyze crystals and metals themselves. In Jungle Adventure, Sims can extract elements from crystals at the archaeology table.
|Heavy Metal||?||Common||?||Base Game|
|Death Metal||?||Uncommon||?||Base Game|
|Blutonium||?||?||?||Sixam / Get To Work|
|Solarium||?||?||?||Sixam / Get To Work|
- ↑ You may alternatively buy it at Aleister's Elixers and Sundries.
- ↑ With World Adventures installed, foreign metals can be found in the base world through the use of the Miner.
- ↑ Once smelted, Mercury will always be returned as a liquid in a vial (On rare cases it will be returned as an Ingot possibly with the skill challenge Metal Collector, which wouldn't work in real life, as Mercury melts at -40 degrees). Solid Mercury can be obtained through Transfiguration.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Available through Transfiguration.
- ↑ Price is determined by which metals it consists of, see Transfiguration for more details.
- ↑ Woohooium is predominantly found from the sculptor's workbench. When sculpting stone, it can shatter to reveal Woohooium (or the Flourite Palmstone gem). There is also a possibility the ore may be obtained through transfiguration.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 SimFans tweet