Mermaids are creatures of the ocean and water, that can be encountered by diving or just taking a stroll in a boat in the sea. They are also capable of living on land.
The Sims 3: Island Paradise[edit | edit source]
Becoming a mermaid[edit | edit source]
A Sim can become a mermaid by ingesting mermadic kelp, which can be obtained either by becoming good friends with a mermaid and using the "Ask About Fish Parts" interaction while both the Sim and the mermaid are underwater, or purchasing the “Mermadic Kelp” lifetime reward for 25,000 lifetime happiness points. Note that other life states cannot become mermaids even if they eat the mermadic kelp, unless mods are used. They have to become normal Sims before they can turn into a mermaid. Mermaids cannot be created manually or shared on the exchange, since EA wanted them to be an exclusive life state. However, you can still share households with normal sims and at least one piece of “Mermadic Kelp” in a Sim’s inventory to instantly turn them into mermaids.
Mermaid is a genetic life state. There is a 50% chance a child will be a mermaid for each mermaid parent. If both parents are mermaids the child will be 100% mermaid. And because it is a life state it can't have another life state, for example, it can't become a zombified mermaid, despite being a secondary life state that can be combined with other major life state.
Appearance[edit | edit source]
While in water, Mermaids have a colorful scaly fish/dolphin tail in place of legs. Males have a tail with a straight fin like a shark, and go shirtless, while females wear a seashell bikini top and have tails that end in a classic dolphin-shaped fluke. On land, a mermaid's tail will transform into a scaly pair of legs of the same color. Mermaids have their scaly legs from childhood, but their legs won't transform into a tail while in water until the Sim is a teenager. Mermaids cannot wear socks as the scales will replace socks.
The color of a mermaid's scales and, if female, seashell bikini top can be customized by using the "Change Scale Color" interaction via mirrors.
Needs[edit | edit source]
Mermaids have the same needs as regular Sims, with two main differences:
- Hydration: In place of Hygiene, there is a "Hydration" need, similar to water for a PlantSim. This can be satisfied by swimming in the ocean or a pool, using the shower or bathtub, or relaxing in a hot tub. If The Sims 3: Seasons is installed, they can also hydrate by standing in the rain. Dehydration will cause the Sim to dry out, giving them a negative moodlet. Eventually, they will pass out, and if another Sim does not splash water on them, they will die.
- Hunger: Mermaids don't get much energy from normal meals. Instead, they require fish and kelp. Fish can be caught from fishing or while scuba diving and can be eaten raw. If a Mermaid has the vegetarian trait, eating fish will make them nauseous. Kelp can be harvested from diving areas or purchased from the grocery. If a mermaid's hunger need is very low, eating two pieces of kelp is enough to fully replenish it.
Even if a Mermaid is well hydrated, they need to swim in the ocean at least once every 48 hours, otherwise, they'll get a "Salt Water Deficiency" moodlet. Within a day this will turn into "Adapting to Land" and when this moodlet expires, the mermaid will turn into a normal Sim. Purchasing the "Permanent Mermaid" lifetime reward will prevent the Mermaid from losing their occult status.
If a mermaid is near a fireplace or in the sun for a while they will get a moodlet causing their Hydration need to drop faster than usual until they move away and the moodlet expires. The moodlet lasts three hours.
Abilities[edit | edit source]
Mermaids have various water-related special abilities. They can breathe and stay underwater indefinitely, and will not get the "Depressurising" moodlet when returning to the surface. This makes the Lungs of Steel lifetime reward useless for them. Mermaids swim faster than normal Sims on the surface and underwater. Once a mermaid becomes a teenager they will automatically maximize their Scuba Diving skill. Mermaids do not need umbrellas when it rains,[TS3:S] and they will get a positive moodlet when they get soaked.
Like normal Sims, mermaids who possess a conch shell are able to summon another mermaid they have met. Mermaids with the Mean Spirited or Evil trait are able to summon sharks to attack other divers. Mermaids are safe in their aquatic environment and will not be attacked by sharks, however, they can be attacked by the cave monster. If mermaids are on a boat, they will not be attacked by the Kraken. Mermaids swim much faster than normal Sims and prefer swimming over using boats. They’ll always win in breath holding contests, unless they’re doing this with another mermaid. They’ll also have a few new water related topics to talk about.
Hidden island[edit | edit source]
One of the hidden islands in Isla Paradiso can be unlocked by becoming good friends with a mermaid in one of the diving areas. After befriending them, the mermaid will come up and offer to show the location of mermaid's secret island, and then the player will unlock it.
The Sims 4: Island Living[edit | edit source]
Mermaids return in The Sims 4: Island Living.
Becoming a Mermaid[edit | edit source]
Sims can become Mermaids by eating Mermadic Kelp. Once a Sim ingests Mermadic Kelp, they will be given a "Strange Sensations" +3 Energized moodlet; then the Sim must enter the water and swim in order to complete the transition and grow a tail. If the moodlet runs out, the Sim will no longer turn into a Mermaid upon entering the water and must eat Mermadic Kelp again if they wish to become one. It can't have any other life states, for example, it can't be a vampiric mermaid.
Mermadic Kelp can be obtained in a specific ways:
- Buying from a Rewards Store for 500 satisfaction points.
- A rare chance to obtain 10 kelps when exploring cave in Mua Pel'am
- After befriending a dolphin and ordering it to "fetch", there's a rare chance that dolphin will bring the kelp.
- A rare chance to obtain when fishing anywhere in Sulani.
- A very rare chance to find when digging through a sand on a beach in Sulani.
- Using the
bb.showhiddenobjectscheat it is possible to buy mermadic kelp in build mode.
Unlike Island Paradise, in Island Living mermaids can be created via CAS under occult state. Mermaids are a genetic life state. There is a 50% chance a child will be a mermaid for each mermaid parent. If both parents are mermaids the child will be 100% mermaid.
Appearance[edit | edit source]
Mermaids have an array of different looks. Within CAS, players can give them four different tails with many different colors, and multiple tops for female mermaids. Mermaids can also have different skin tones of their own, they can have special scales on their face, different eyes with unique eye colors, and a new set of teeth that resemble shark teeth. Mermaids can have different skin tones based on ocean colors.
Mermaids resemble regular Sims on land, however, once they enter a body of water, either the ocean, pools, or bathtubs, they will grow a tail. The color of a Mermaid's tail and other features can be customized under "Change Sim".
Needs[edit | edit source]
A Mermaid's needs are different from a Sim in one way:
- Hydration - In place of Hygiene, Mermaids have Hydration. Mermaids need to regularly hydrate their skin to stay safe, they can satisfy this need by drinking water, taking a bath, and going into the pool or ocean. Hydration is also needed to use their mermadic powers. Being out in the sun drains their hydration need faster than at night. Staying in pools or any hot tub for too long will start to dry the mermaid's scales due to the chlorine. Hot Tubs also dehydrates the mermaid. Once a Mermaid's hydration need is empty, they will not become human or die; instead, they will remain extremely uncomfortable until they can hydrate their skin. The Forever Fresh reward trait affects Hydration, keeping it at maximum and allowing the mermaid to use their powers without limit.
- Hunger: Unlike in The Sims 3, a mermaid does not need to eat just kelp and fish. In fact if a mermaid Sim eats something made of seafood, they will get a 1+ uncomfortable moodlet stating "Stomach Squall". This moodlet will last 4 hours in total. Other meats are okay unless the mermaid is vegetarian.
Powers[edit | edit source]
Mermaids have an array of powers that are based around water. Depending on if they have a good or evil trait; Mermaids have different powers, however, if Mermaids have neither trait, they have all the powers.
- Siren's Lullaby...
- Aegean's Question (-30 Hydration): This lullaby makes the target Sim tense.
- Charmer's Lullaby (-30 Hydration): This lullaby makes the target Sim flirty.
- Inspiring Berceuse (-30 Hydration): This lullaby makes the target Sim inspired.
- Night's Requiem (-30 Hydration): This lullaby makes the target Sim sad.
- Mermaid's Kiss (-30 Hydration): A Mermaid's Kiss grants whoever is kissed the "Aquatic Breath" moodlet, which temporarily gives Sims the ability to dive underwater for longer periods of time. This ability can be used in and out of water, but is more powerful in water.
- Aquatic Lure (-30 Hydration): Calls fishes to nearest water for fishing, it also calls more rare fish.
- Call for Dolphins (-30 Hydration): Calls for dolphins and dolphins the mermaid is friends with.
- Siren's Call (-100 Hydration): Mermaids can lure a Sim to them in the ocean and once near, the Mermaid will dive underwater and drag the Sim down into the water. If repeated enough times can cause the Sim to drown. (Unavailable to Mermaids with Good trait). Mermaids will regain all their needs by performing this action.
- Summon Ocean Threat (-30 Hydration): Mermaids sing a haunting song that summons a black mass underneath their target that swallows the Sim. If repeated enough it can cause the Sim to drown. (Unavailable to Mermaids with Good trait)
If Seasons is installed, these powers are self-interactions:
- Call Clear Skies (-75 Hydration): Clears skies of any rain or thunder. (Unavailable to Mermaids with Evil trait)
- Call Rainstorm (-75 Hydration): Summons a rainstorm.
- Call Thunderstorm (-75 Hydration): Summons a thunderstorm. (Unavailable to Mermaids with Good trait)
Abilities[edit | edit source]
Mermaids also have a few abilities which don't require hydration:
- Mermaids can utilize conch shells that can be found at the beach to access other abilities; mermaids can blow through the conch shell which will attract nearby Mermaids to the Sim's location.
- Mermaids are naturally great swimmers, they can swim at fast speeds.
- Mermaids can talk to fish, which fills their social need.
- Mermaids can sleep in the water.
- Mermaids can sunbathe in water, however occult skin tones will not tan.
- Mermaids don't need to be level 3 of fitness skill or purchase scuba diving gear to free dive.
- Mermaids can swim within their third trimester of pregnancy, unlike normal Sims.
Turning into a human[edit | edit source]
Mermaids who wish to no longer sprout a tail when they go into the water can become a regular Sim by ingesting two Mermadic Kelps in a row. After eating two of them, the Mermaid will be a regular Sim.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The mermaid is mentioned in The Sims Medieval, in one of the random events in docks.
- The statue "Poseidon's Fury" and the "Trident's Spring Fountain" from The Sims 3 Store both show mermaids outside of The Sims 3: Island Paradise. There is also a mermaid statue in Ambitions named Siren's Call.
- The Sims 3: Seasons has two clothing pieces and a hairstyle which have a look akin to that of a mermaid.
- Mermaids cannot get a tan if they have the pale mermaid skin tone.[TS3:S]
- Mermaids will get a positive moodlet when being soaked, thus eliminating the need for an umbrella.[TS3:S]
- Cats are twice as likely to follow a mermaid than any other Sims.[TS3:P]
- Pregnant mermaids can swim at the water's surface, but cannot visit scuba dive sites for the duration of the pregnancy.
- If a mermaid goes into labor, they can't have their baby in the sea, they must go to land to give birth, and mermaid babies must grow on land.
- There are several minor references to Disney's The Little Mermaid. Some pre-made mermaids are based on characters from the film, such as Triton King and Mia Azul. When a Sim explores an underwater cave, sometimes a message appears stating, (Sim's Name) he/she found a dinglehopper, or "how many wonders can one cavern hold?"
- Mermaids cannot be saved to the bin, created in Create a Sim, nor shared on The Sims 3 Exchange. This is due to the fact that developers wanted them to be only special creatures. However, they can be saved and created in Create a Sim in The Sims 4: Island Living.
- Mermaids cannot surf on the wave station.
- Trident's Spring Fountain is similar to a female mermaid's tail.
- The two pieces of mermaid decor in The Sims 3: Seasons named Maya the Mermaid and Mia the Mermaid share names with the two female mermaid NPCs in Isla Paradiso.
- Zombies will never attempt to eat a mermaid's brain.[confirmation needed][TS3:SN]
- While Mermaids in Island Paradise had few benefits and abilities, mermaids in Island Living are the first to have proper powers that mimic their mythology, such as Mermaid's Kiss and Siren's Call.
- Unlike in Island Paradise, mermaids in Island Living that enter in the bathtubs, will have their tails lying outside the tub.
- Mermaids in Island Living have a twitch where they will randomly imitate a dolphin squeak.
- A Sim with the bot fan trait cannot become a Mermaid.[TS3:ITF]
- If The Sims 4: Cats & Dogs is installed, feeding a pet the mermaidic kelp will cause them to turn into a azure dolphin.[TS4:C&D]
Gallery[edit | edit source]