Magic and the paranormal is evident The Sims series. It can be seen in almost all games in some form, but most especially in The Sims: Makin' Magic, The Sims 2: Apartment Life, The Sims Medieval, The Sims 3: Supernatural and The Sims 4: Realm of Magic.
The Sims: Makin' MagicEdit
Magic can fail for many reasons:
- Many spells will backfire on the caster if the target also has magic.
- The caster's needs are low.
- Low Logic skill.
- Each charm has a condition that will cause it to backfire.
Making spells and charms requires magic ingredients, which must be added to the proper object in the proper order. Adult spells require the Spellbound Wand Charger, which is included in the Mystery Man's box as well as being available in Buy mode. Adult charms require the EverAfter Crafter. Children use the MagiCo NeoMagical Newt to make spells and charms.
The Sims 2Edit
In University, Sims who have gone through a college education can work in the Paranormal career. Its associated career reward is the Resurrect-O-Nomitron, which allows them to resurrect deceased Sims that they know of.
True magic in the same fashion as The Sims: Makin' Magic was reintroduced in Apartment Life. Magic can have positive or negative results. Spells are divided into Good, Neutral, and Evil. Magic reagents are needed to cast spells, but it is enough for a witch/warlock to have them in inventory when casting.
Witches/warlocks can also craft special items, such as lamps of different category variations and thrones. These come in "good" and "evil" variants, based on the witch/warlock's current alignment.
The Sims MedievalEdit
Spells can be learned through the correct alignment of runes and can be cast on other Sims. Most spells can be learned after gaining enough experience, though there are easter egg spells in the game.
The Sims 3Edit
Mummies can curse a Sim if they win a fight against them. This can be dangerous to the Sim if the curse is not treated in time.
Even without Supernatural, any Sim, regardless of life state, can use magic with Lady Ravendancer Goth's Book o' Spells. The Book o' Spells can be purchased from The Sims 3 Store for 500 Simpoints.
There are 5 spells to choose from, and Teens through Elders can learn from it.
- Enchant- This spell can be used on Lady Ravendancer's Book o' Spells and other magic objects like Lord Vladimir's Magic Cauldron and Soothsayer's Crystal Ball. It makes those objects look like they are in use.
- Mood Elevatus- This spell can be used in a room with 2 or more people in it to increase their Mood.
- Summon Anamale- This spell can be used in a room with 2 or more people in it to give them the "Cursed" Moodlet which makes Sims involuntarily act in strange ways.
- Summon- This spell summons a random Sim from your town to you.
- Summon Acquainted- This spell summons someone with "friend" or higher relationship to you.
Sims must review the spells in the Book o' Spells for them to work successfully more often. The spells lose power quickly, so Sims should review them every day. If the spell does not work correctly, the Sim or the other Sims in the room may get the "Cursed" Moodlet.
Another store item, the Malleable Mimic Voodoo Doll, can be bound to specific Sims and used for their benefit or detriment according to the player's wishes.
The Sims 4Edit
Sims can utilize voodoo dolls if they have a level 4 or higher mischief skill to be used for the benefit or detriment to the bound Sim dependant on the player's wishes. A wishing well is included in The Sims 4: Romantic Garden Stuff, which can magically grant Sims' wishes.
In Jungle Adventure, Sims can be cursed in multiple ways and can transform into a skeleton.
True magic will return in Realm of Magic.