Lot assignment is an option that defines the specialty of a lot type. In The Sims, lots are only distinguished between residential lot and community lot. In The Sims 2, in addition to the residential and community lots, the game recognizes the term as lot zoning that define special lots, such as dormitories, hotels, apartments, secret society lots, and so on. Lot zoning, however, is an advanced cheat, so it was not meant to be used freely.
Beginning in The Sims 3, players are able to set and define the type of a lot. The feature returns in The Sims 4. Lot assignment allows community lots to be distinct from each other, depending on the assignment they have. For example, a park is expected to be outdoors and have playground objects, while a lounge is expected to have bars and indoor amenities.
The Sims 3
In The Sims 3, players can set the lot assignment via Edit Town mode with patch 1.12. Prior to patch 1.12, players have no free control to set the lot assignment of a lot. Instead, to set a lot assignment, players have to edit the community lot and place the required objects in order to set the lot assignment. The lot assignments below have ascending priority order, so if a lot meets the requirements of an art gallery, it will not be considered a pool no matter how many swimming pools are on the lot:
As of patch 1.12, the option to set the lot assignment to any lots are available on Edit Town mode. The default lot assignment of a community lot is No Visitors Allowed, but prior to patch 1.12, the default is empty / blank. This is noticeable as some lots in Sunset Valley have no lot assignment.
Different lot assignments attract different kind of Sims (by their age, type, traits, skills, career, celebrity status and NPC role), as well allow permit/forbid certain pets, define lot density and enforces associated activity/behavior (skill encouragement and object advertisement). Some lots could be a hotspot or a dead zone, where the lot would be deemed to have either higher or lower visitor density. In the full moon, the density of a lot will also increase.
Certain lot assignments are only found in certain sub-neighborhoods, such as market, and some lot assignments are hidden and only available in the Create a World or by unlocking them with
enableLotLocking on cheat. Lot assignments control what opportunities, gigs, or interactions are available. For example, some Mixology bar drinks are only available in certain lot assignments.
Residential is one of the two primary lot categories. Sims can live on residential lots.
Assignments in the residential category
- Apartment lot (Home world only)[TS3:UL]
- Non-Player Sims Only lot (Adventure destination only)[TS3:WA]
- Ownable lot (Adventure destination and future world only)[TS3:WA][TS3:ITF]
- Private lot (CAW only)[TS3:IP]
- Regular lot
Community is one of the two primary lot categories. Community lots serve a variety of purposes.
Assignments in the community category
- Art gallery
- Big park
- Fishing spot
- No visitors allowed (unassigned, NPCs will not visit unless invited)
- Small park
- Visitors allowed (unassigned, NPCs will visit)
- Base camp (Adventure destination only)
- Chinese garden
- Hidden tomb (Hidden/CAW)
- Landmark tomb (Adventure destination only)
- Market (Adventure destination only)
- Small market (Adventure destination only)
- Cat jungle
- Dog park
- Equestrian center
- Horse ranch
- Pet store (requires Pet Shop register object)
- Dive bar criminal (Hidden)
- Java hut
- Dormitory (University world only)
- Fraternity (University world only)
- Group science park (University world only)
- Nerd shop
- Rebel hangout
- Sorority (University world only)
- Student union
- University hangout
- Base camp (Future world only)
- Bot emporium
- Business park
- Dried up beach
- Future lounge
- Gallery shop
- Plumbot competition arena
- Recreational park (Future world only)
Assignments set by rabbit holes
These lot types are available in CAW but they are only assigned to the rabbit holes.