A Live Picture in Picture, also known as a Live PIP, is a notification in The Sims and The Sims 2 that appears during certain events. A Live PIP is a small box, usually in the bottom right of the screen, with a live camera showing the event. Clicking on the PIP will bring the game camera to the event. In The Sims, this will close the PIP window; in The Sims 2, however, the PIP will remain open, and will focus on the camera's last position before the PIP was clicked, allowing the player to jump back to where they were. In both games, the PIP window can be closed without viewing the event in question.
In The Sims 2, the PIP window can be moved by clicking and dragging the top edge of the box. Additionally, right-clicking on the window will cause the camera to pan over to the event, rather than instantaneously jumping to it.
Live PIPs are shown when:
- A fire, burglary, or repo-man visit occur.
- A visitor rings the doorbell.
- A Sim changes fitness.[TS2]
- A Sim ages.[TS2]
- Cockroaches appear.[TS:LL]
- A Sim begins stomping on cockroaches.[TS2]
- An object breaks.[TS1]
- A fight breaks out.
- The carpool or school bus arrives.[TS1]
- Certain NPCs arrive or leave.
- A Sim passes out or has an accident.
- A Sim or pet[TS:U] dies.
- A Sim or pet faints from starvation (in The Sims 2: Pets for console)
Live PIPs can cause lag on slower computers. In both games, the player can disable PIPs in the game settings.