The Gypsy matchmaker is an NPC that came with The Sims 2: Nightlife and The Sims 2: FreeTime. The matchmaker can summon a blind date for a Sim (the Sim's compatibility with their date depends on how much the player decides to pay the matchmaker), sell Love Potion Number 8.5 for §350, or sell a cure for Vampirism[TS2:NL], Lycanthropy[TS2:P], Witchiness[TS2:AL], or PlantSimism[TS2:S] for §60. Sims can buy a single dose of a potion, or buy potions in lots of 3, 5, and 10.
In The Sims 2: FreeTime, if Sims in the household have a high lifetime aspiration and hobby enthusiasm, the matchmaker may sneak over to the house and leave a Dusty Old Lamp, which can be used to summon a genie.
The matchmaker is an unplayable NPC (barring hacks or cheats), but can be befriended by, and fall in love with, a controllable Sim. However, the only socializing actions normally allowed with the matchmaker are under the Talk, Flirt and Influence menus (which is much more limited than the Influence menu of a non-NPC Sim). She will stay on a Sim's lot for hours at a time, until she is greeted. She may even stay all day long.
How to contact her
She may appear on Downtown community lots, but the only way to be sure of reaching her is to use the phone. To summon her by phone, have a Sim call "Services", then select "Matchmaking Service". She will arrive within thirty in-game minutes. This can only be done on residential lots, as Sims cannot call services on community lots even if they have cell phones.
List of Gypsy matchmakers
These matchmakers have their names randomized when the Downtown sub-neighborhood is created. Their names are only referenced in the game files.
- If cheats are used to marry the Gypsy matchmaker, or to or move her in, she will still retain her ability to sell potions, even if she is aged down. She will also have elder voices when aged down.
- Even though the matchmakers are always elders, an adult version of their clothing and hairstyle can be found in Create a Sim when it's in debug mode.
- In unpatched copies of FreeTime, there is a glitch in the matchmaker which relates to the lamp. After she has delivered the lamp to a household, when she is called to that household through the phone's Services... Matchmaking Service option, she will come and deliver another lamp, instead of doing her business. This was addressed in the FreeTime patch. (One of the notes is "Matchmaking Service will now function correctly when the 'Dusty Old Lamp' is on the lot.") Also, Simbology has a Gypsy - Free Time Genie Delivery Fix mod (on the Bug Fixes page) which addresses the issue of the Matchmaker not being able to perform other functions after delivering a lamp.
- In Pleasantview, if she is paid 5,000 Simoleons, there is a chance that Bella Goth will appear.
- The term "Gypsy" is often now considered an outdated and even offensive term that was more commonplace during development of The Sims 2: Nightlife. The term was coined by Europeans who mistakenly thought the people were from Egypt. The correct term for the nomadic North-Indian group is "Romani".