|The Sims||The Sims 2||The Sims 3||The Sims 4|
Many times in The Sims series, players will end up wanting to change their Sims' names. Maybe they spelled it wrong, maybe they changed their mind, maybe they married someone with a weird name. Here is a tutorial on how to change an unwanted name.
The Sims 2 Edit
Changing First and Last Names with SimPEEdit
This method of changing names requires SimPE. SimPe may not update all references correctly for first names (see notes).
- Open SimPE.
- Click "Neighborhood Browser," and choose the neighborhood the Sim you want to rename lives in.
- After the files open up, click on "Sim Browser," and look for that Sim.
- After selecting the Sim you want to rename, click the More button then select the Open Character File option.
- If all you can see is a dark screen showing the neighborhood's icon, population, universities and description (if any), but none of the Plugin View buttons (Overview, Career, Relations, Interests, Character, Skills, Other and More), just select the Plugin View tab at the lower left corner of the screen (right before Package).
- After opening the character file, select the Catalog Description resource.
- You should see the first name of that Sim inside the String text box. Use the up and down arrows to the left of the text box to select which of the three strings to view. The first (0) is the Sim's first name, the second (1) is the Sim's description/bio (usually blank for most Sims) and the third (2) is the Sim's surname. Change those strings for other languages if needed.
- Click the Commit button below the RFT and Help buttons.
Changing First Names with FFS Lot DebuggerEdit
- Download the FFS Lot Debugger and place it onto the lot.
- Select the Sim to be renamed.
- Open the console menu by pressing CTRL + SHIFT + C.
- Type in "boolProp testingCheatsEnabled true" without the quotes.
- Hold SHIFT and click on the debugger.
- Click on "Rename Me", and then on "Change First Name - Cancel Error".
- An error dialog will pop up. Click on "Cancel".
- The dialog used to name a baby will appear. Change the Sim's first name as you see fit.
- Hit "OK".
Changing First Names with the Sim BlenderEdit
- Download the Sim Blender and place it onto the lot.
- Select any Sim in the current active household.
- Click on the Sim Blender and select "Name", then "Change Sim's First Name".
- Choose the Sim to be renamed from the list; it can be any non-object Sim in the game.
- Enter a new name and click "OK".
Changing Last Names with the Sim BlenderEdit
- Follow the above steps up to step 4.
- Enter a new last name in the first name field and click "OK". Make sure to remember or write down what their first name was originally, if you'd like to keep it.
- Click on the Sim Blender and select "Name", then "Copy Sim's First Name to Last Name".
- Find your renamed Sim in the list and select them, clicking "OK" afterwards.
- Use the "Change Sim's First Name" option again to change the Sim's first name back to what it was originally, or enter a new name.
The Sims 3Edit
City hall allows Sims to change their names. The option is available between 9 AM and 6 PM. To change Sims' names, simply choose "Change Name..." option on the city hall. Sims will enter the city hall, and a text box will appear prompting the players to insert Sims' new names. It will take a while inside the city hall.
Note: To change a baby, toddler, or child's name, select the parental guardian instead of the baby, toddler, or child.
Brain Enhancing MachineEdit
This method requires University Life. A level 3 brain enhancing machine or the pro brain enhancing machine has the ability to change a Sim's personality. This will allow Sims to change their traits as well as their names. Be careful though, as personality programming can fail and randomize the Sim's traits, and may possibly burn them if they're singed.
As of patch 1.22, players can use the
testingCheatsEnabled true cheat and shift+click the target Sim to access the CAS menu by using the "Edit in CAS" option. This will send Sims to CAS, where the players are able to modify them. This method might cause some glitches, however, such as resetting the Sim's age. Also, do not be tempted to make any drastic changes such as the Sim's supernatural type, as their state will not be properly changed.
The Sims 4Edit
- Use CTRL + SHIFT + C to open the cheat console and enter 'testingcheats on'.
- After that, enter the cheat 'cas.fulleditmode'.
- Shift + click the Sim and select 'Edit in CAS'.
- In CAS the Sim's name can now be edited, along with anything else including traits, walk style etc. Select OK to save the renamed Sim.