|The Sims||The Sims 2||The Sims 3||The Sims 4|
In The Sims 2 or later, any Sim with character data can be brought back to life. The process of bringing a Sim back to life is known as resurrection.
When a Sim dies in-game, their character data gets transferred to their urn or tombstone. So, any Sim who died in-game and who still has a tombstone or urn can be resurrected. Any Sim whose urn or tombstone has been deleted is gone forever. In The Sims 2, some of the Maxis pre-made dead Sims, like Skip Broke, seem to have character data stored somewhere else, and may be resurrectable even though they do not have urns or tombstones.
In SimPE, dead Sims that can't be resurrected because they have no character data are indicated by a pink dot on their picture in the Sim Browser view.
- 1 The Sims 2
- 2 The Sims 3
- 3 The Sims 4
- 4 References
The Sims 2[edit | edit source]
In-game methods[edit | edit source]
This section describes features that are only available in The Sims 2: University.
Sometimes, a pre-made deceased Sim will be resurrectable, but will have no playable relatives, descendants, or acquaintances. If there are townies that are descended from the Sim you want to resurrect, you can use this method. If you can make them playable, they can resurrect that Sim with the Resurrect-O-Nomitron.
- Identify a descendant of the Sim you want to resurrect.
- Make the descendant playable. (See Townie#Turning a Townie into a Playable Sim.)
- Get a Resurrect-O-Nomitron via the Paranormal career track, from a college secret society, or from cheats.
- Have the descendant resurrect that Sim.
- Have the now-resurrected Sim resurrect the rest of the family.
If there are no descendants, you can do one of two things:
- With "boolprop testingcheatsenabled true" activated, shift+click on the mailbox and click on the button that says "Make Me Know Everyone". This cheat will make the selected Sim know everyone, even those who have passed away.
- With Nightlife or later, another option is to spawn the Tombstone of Life and Death and use its "Add Neighbor to Family" function. To do this:
- First, make sure that the game in on speed 1, and that the selected Sim has no actions in their queue.
- Pause the game.
- Cycle through the Tombstone's "Add Neighbor to Family" menu until the name of the Sim you want to resurrect appears, then click that name.
- Now, the game must be resumed and then paused again by pressing P twice quickly. If these steps are done correctly, the Sim will stay on the screen.
- Shift-click the Sim, and select "Make Sim my Contact".
- When the game is unpaused, the Sim will fade away. The selected Sim can now resurrect that deceased Sim with the Resurrect-O-Nomitron.
This method can be used to resurrect Rainelle Neengia.
The "Add Neighbor to Family" menu only shows first names, so this works best with Sims who have unique first names.
The Resurrect-O-Nomitron can be obtained by enabling the boolProp testingcheatsenabled cheat, shift+clicking on the newspaper, then selecting Career Rewards under Paranormal; or by typing 'unlockCareerRewards'[TS2:NL]+ in the cheat box to unlock all career rewards.
This section describes features that are only available in The Sims 2: FreeTime.
The wish to resurrect a Sim works much like using the Resurrect-O-Nomitron, in that Sims can only try to resurrect Sims or pets that they know. If the selected Sim does not know any Sims or pets who can be resurrected, the "Resurrect..." option will not appear. However, unlike the Resurrect-O-Nomitron, the player has no control over the outcome. A Sim may be resurrected imperfectly, or even brought back as a zombie.
Witch Spell[edit | edit source]
This section describes features that are only available in The Sims 2: Apartment Life.
The Grave Move Method[edit | edit source]
The Grave Move Method can be used in The Sims 2 to help with resurrecting some Sims. You need Nightlife or later (for the "Move grave(s)" option), and either University or FreeTime for this to work:
Nightlife introduced the ability to click on a grave and move it to a community lot. Doing this with the graves of some pre-made deceased Sims will allow them to be resurrected with the Resurrect-O-Nomitron or the genie lamp.
This method reportedly works with these Sims:
- Victor Goth
- Gretle Goth
- Gunther Goth
- Cornelia Goth
- Agnes Crumplebottom
- Simon Crumplebottom
- Michael Bachelor
Hacks and mods[edit | edit source]
- Select a Sim
- Get the Mortality Adjuster in one of two ways. Buy it from the Electronics > All section of Buy mode (it is free), or click on a random spot, then press "Spawn..." The Mortality Adjuster is a pointed tombstone.
- Click on it, and select "Resurrection...". A screen should pop up saying "Call...", with the faces of the dead Sims.
- Select the Sim you want to resurrect and "call" them.
- If their grave/urnstone is on the lot, it should disappear. Double-click on the once-dead Sim's portrait and it should zoom to the far right side of the screen (behind the road). The resurrected Sim should be standing there.
- This seems to be a fairly safe method, at least a little safer than using the Tombstone of Life and Death.
- This method is similar to the Resurrect-O-Nomitron, except that it does not involve calling the Grim Reaper or paying money.
- You can also get Sims back that died from over-use of testingcheatsenabled (Sims that supposedly "died on another lot").
- For the safety of your game, you should not abuse this method or try it on the premade dead Sims.
Using SimPE[edit | edit source]
In the Sim Browser, Sims that are unlinked will have a blue dot on their picture, though that may be hard to see against the picture's background. Sims that have no character data will have a pink dot. Deceased Sims will not be displayed in the Sim Browser unless the "Uneditable" box is checked.
[edit | edit source]
Some Sims have no grave, but still have character data. This method can be used to resurrect them (Requires FreeTime or University). This method can be used if the player only has University (and cannot move graves to another lot).
- In SimPE, open the neighborhood where the Sim lived before death. (Use Ctrl+Shift+N to open Neighborhood Browser quickly.)
- Open the Sim in Sim Browser. (Use Ctrl+Shift+S to open Sim Browser quickly.)
- In the Plugin View, click on the Other tab.
- Find: Unlinked: 0x0001. Change it to: 0x0000.
- Save the changes.
- The Sim should now be seen as resurrectable when their relative uses either the Resurrect-O-Nomitron or Genie Lamp.
This method will work on: Bella Goth, Skip Broke, Frida Goth, Prudence Crumplebottom, Andromache Thebe, Eetion Thebe, Queen Thebe, Priam Albion, Diana Nejem, Alyssa Pachis, Jason Pachis, Catherine Kokinos, Philip Kokinos, and Zachary Reis.
Fixing the package file[edit | edit source]
This was originally written for Glabe Curious and Mary Melons. It will not work for all Sims, as it assumes that the only problems are that the Sim is considered as "unknown" in his/her Object Data and/or that the Sim is unlinked.
If you know the location and filename for the Sim's character file, you can open it directly and go to Step 3.
- Open the neighborhood, and find the Sim in the Sim Browser.
- Click the "More" tab in the Plugin View, then select Open Character File.
- Select "Object Data" from the Resource Tree, then select the file that appears in the resource list.
- In the Plugin View, look for a dropdown labeled "Obj. Type". One of the options in that dropdown will be "Person". Select "Person".
- Click the "Commit" button, and save.
The Sim should now be seen as resurrectable when one of his or her descendants use the Resurrect-O-Nomitron or Genie lamp. If not, exit the game and try re-linking the Sim.
Resurrecting Sims with no character data[edit | edit source]
First, create or download a clone of the Sim you want to resurrect. If the downloaded clone is a .package file, place it in the SavedSims folder, and it will appear in Create a Sim. Otherwise, if it is a .sims2pack file, install it. Go to CAS, select the Sim Bin, and select the clone. Give the clone a name, then proceed to Step 6 and, if necessary, select the clone's zodiac sign, personality, aspiration, and chemistry. Save the created Sim, then exit the game.
Now, open SimPE and follow these steps:
- Open the neighborhood, and find the clone in the Sim Browser.
- In the Plugin View, click the "More" tab, then select Open Character File.
- Click in the Resource List, and press Ctrl-A to select all resources.
- Go to the menu and select "Extract . . .". You will see a "Browse for Folder" dialog. Browse to the desktop, click "Make New Folder", and save the files to that folder.
- Make sure you have closed the clone's character file, then reload the neighborhood and open the real Sim you want to resurrect.
- If the Sim's picture has a blue background, you will need to relink that Sim. Click the "Other" tab. In the "Misc" box, one of the fields will say "Unlinked: 0x0001". Change the 1 at the end to a 0 (zero).
- Click the "Commit" button, then save. The Sim's picture in the "Overview" tab should now have a red background, meaning that his or her character data is incomplete..
- Click the "More" tab, and open the Sim's Character File.
- Minimize SimPE, so the desktop is visible. Open the folder which has the data that was extracted from the clone. Remove these seven files: Catalog Description, Directory of Compressed files, jpgtgapng image, Object Data, Object Functions, Version Information, and package.
- Maximize SimPE.
- Select the "Add . . ." option. You will need to browse to the folder which has the data that was extracted from the clone. The extracted data will be in subfolders. You will have to add the data from each subfolder, but will only be able to do one at a time.
- Enter the first subfolder, select all the files in it, and click "Open". This will close the browse dialog, so select "Add . . ." again, enter the next subfolder, select all the files in it, and click "Open". Repeat this until you are sure you have added the data from all of the subfolders.
- In the "Resource Tree" window, select Object Data (OBJD). Highlight the file that appears in the Resource List window. The Object Data will appear in the Plugin View window.
- In the Plugin View, look for a dropdown labeled "Obj. Type". One of the options in that dropdown will be "Person". Select "Person", then find and click the Commit button.
- In the Plugin View window change the Obj.Type to Person.
- Save. Wait for all the resource names in italics to change to regular type.
- Package files of most of the dead ancestors in The Sims 2 can be downloaded here. Please note that most of these replicas are not exact, and some of them are misnamed. Also includes exact replicas of the Therapist and Mrs. Crumplebottom.
The Sims 3[edit | edit source]
Getting the "Oh My Ghost!" special opportunity[edit | edit source]
- Make any Sim related to the Sim you want to resurrect.
- Move the Sim into their household and kill the Sim.
- The relative will receive the "Oh My Ghost!" opportunity. Instead of taking the dead Sim's tombstone to the graveyard, take the tombstone of the Sim you want resurrected to the Science lab.
- When the relative comes out the dead Sim will be a controllable ghost.
Note: An easier way to get the "Oh My Ghost!" opportunity is to have a high relationship with the ghost that you want to resurrect.
Note: If you can't move sim in, there is an easy way to obtain sim's tombstone without building relationships and without cheats. Find (or create) a sim with kleptomaniac trait, click somewhere near the tombstone and ask to steal something. Interaction appears only at night and available only when sim is alone. There is a good chance that sim will grab the tombstone, especially when there is no other objects nearby. It's a good method for getting ghosts from public graveyards.
In order to revive the ghost into a full live Sim, the player must feed a controllable ghost the Ambrosia.
Resurrect a sim via "NRaas Master Controller" Sims 3[edit | edit source]
- Most importantly, make sure you have the latest version of Master Controller, or this won't work, as the old one does not have the newly added options included. Once this step is done, the rest is really easy.
- Make sure you know at least the first name and last name of the Sim you are resurrecting.
- Click on the ground of your home lot (it has to be your home lot/where you live, or it may move your dead sim onto the lot you are clicking on e.g. Graveyard).
- Click Add Sim.
- Once you have the criteria menu up, click the following: first/given name, last/surname.
- The first pop-up will say something along the lines of: Type in the first/given name of the sim you want to add - and there will be a bar where you type their name (e.g. Kirby). This happens for the second pop-up, only this time you type in the last/surname (e.g. Summers).
- If it is successful, you should have a playable ghost. If you want a normal Sim, you'll have to make ambrosia, in which Nraas and Cheats can also be useful in (Instructions Below Notes).
Alternate method using NRaas cheats:
- Add the desired ghost sim to your household using the previous method.
- Click on the ghost sim; NRaas> Advanced > Edit in CAS> "Basics" tab> "Supernatural Types" icon (the button with the sim ghost on it)> change type to human.
- Save your changes.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- If these steps do not work, try giving more information along with the name, such as traits, gender, favorites, Life Time Wish, e.t.c (If you know them).
- You can also use search criteria: "Type of sim", and then select "Dead." Select the dead Sim from the list that you wish to resurrect.
- Some people have the problem of having ambrosia on the lot (in fridge, inventory, on surface), and the ghost will not appear with the normal waiting method or this method, so make sure you make ambrosia after you get their ghost back.
Ambrosia: Cheating Method[edit | edit source]
Ambrosia can be a very annoying dish to make, and, of course, most people don't have the time (or in most cases, patience) to do it the 'normal' way. So, here's a way where you completely cheat your way to making Ambrosia (Some waiting required, but not as much as the original method).
- Make sure you have the latest NRaas Master Controller.
- Click on your ambrosia chef (your Sim), and click Advanced - Skill Level.
- Next, pick Cooking and Fishing, and make both values 10 (if you don't want to have these skills, you can always change them to 0 later).
- Hold Ctrl+Shift+C at the same time, and it will bring up the cheat box.
- Type in testingcheatsenabled true and buydebug exactly like done here.
- Go into Buy Mode>Sort by Category>? and the Debug Menu will have stuff like spawners, but for now buy life plant.
- Harvest from your plant straight away, and them go to build mode and make a pond (don't put too much effort into the pond, you can get rid of it after).
- Go back to the Debug Menu and buy Graveyard Death spawner in the Fishing section, and place in your pond (place lots of the spawner on top of each other, so you have a high chance of catching something quickly!).
- Buy and read the books "Ambrosia" and "Fishing For The Dead: Vampire Fish and Deathfish".
- Once you have read them, keep an eye on the pond you made when it gets dark, about midnight, look for 'smoke' or a 'cloud' hovering over the pond. If there is a smoke cloud above your pond, start fishing immediately.
- Eventually, you should have caught the Deathfish (you also need Angelfish as bait). If not, keep fishing every time the 'cloud' appears over the pond, and (it shouldn't take too long) you'll eventually catch it.
- Once you have your Life fruit and Deathfish, go to the have (breakfast, lunch, dinner) tab, and make Ambrosia
Or if you have NRaas Debug Enabler, you can also make it without need of cooking.
- Download NRaas Debug Enabler.
- Click your sim (one who is not currently selected) and select NRaas, then press Debug Enabler, and click Options: Sim
- Find make food.
- Select single serving.
- Select more.
- Find Ambrosia and click Ambrosia
- Your currently selected sim will then spawn an Ambrosia plate.
- To never have to make ambrosia again, follow the steps below.
- Make a Sim in Create A Sim.
- Put your Ambrosia in your newly created Sims' inventory.
- Go to Edit Town mode, click the newly created family your Sim is in and move the household out.
- Click on the family and select "Save Copy to Library".
- The newly created household will now be saved to the family bin, and the Ambrosia will always been in your Sim's inventory.
Now you can move your Sim into any household (that has a playable ghost, of course), leave the ambrosia with the ghost Sim, and then delete your Sim.
Genie Lamp[edit | edit source]
Another way is genie lamp, which is only available to those with Showtime. Sims can wish for another Sim to be resurrected. Probably the simplest method of resurrection.
Supernatural[edit | edit source]
Another way by using a witch in Supernatural and having them cast the reanimation ritual on the tombstone if their magic skill is high enough. The resurrected Sim will be a zombie, but that can easily be fixed with a sunlight charm, which is usually learned earlier than the reanimation ritual. However, this method will only work on Sims that were a teen or older when they died, as children are immune to reanimation.
Alternatively, you can use the Philosopher's Stone that comes from the Lifetime Happiness rewards. All you have to do is click on it and then click on bind ghost and then a list comes up that has a bunch of names on it. Click on any name and that ghost appears out of nowhere as a playable character.
The Sims 4[edit | edit source]
Book of Life[edit | edit source]
Sims can use the Book of Life to resurrect other Sims. The Book of Life can only be written by a Sim that has mastered the writing skill and completed the "Bestselling Author" aspiration. Each Book of Life can be used to resurrect a single Sim, though the action "Capture Epic Saga" must be used on the target Sim before that Sim dies. After the Sim dies, the book can be used to summon them back to life.
Ambrosia[edit | edit source]
Wishing Well[edit | edit source]
Ghosts can make a wish to the Whispering Wishing Well, included in The Sims 4: Romantic Garden Stuff, to be brought back to life. There are several possible outcomes from a wish, depending on the mood of the well. The well's mood can be improved by making an offering to the well.
List of outcomes[edit | edit source]
|Overwhelmingly positive||The wishing ghost Sim will instantly be resurrected, and can only die again of old age for the next 24 hours. The Sim will be spared should they succumb to any other fatality.||Miracle Revival (Happy +3)|
|Positive||The wishing ghost Sim will instantly receive ambrosia in their inventory.||Chance At Life (Happy +2)|
|Neutral||The wishing ghost Sim will instantly receive the ingredients to cook ambrosia.||Ingredients of Life (Inspired +1)|
|Negative||The ghost Sim's wish is rejected, and their coin is wasted.||Wish Not Granted (Sad +1)|
|Overwhelmingly negative||The wishing ghost Sim cannot be resurrected for four hours.||Accepted Fate (Happy +1)|
|Death||The wishing ghost Sim will instantly be resurrected, and then die again.||Just a Ghost (Sad +2)|
Spellcasters[edit | edit source]
Spellcasters can learn the "Dedeathify" spell to bring ghosts back to life.
References[edit | edit source]
- Dead Sims back to life?
- More Awesome Than You! has a mod named nounlinkondelete that can prevent this in The Sims 2.
- The game does not consider Bella Goth to be dead at the start of The Sims 2, but she has an I Am Dead Token which will cause her to die if she is added to a playable household with the Tombstone of Life and Death and the game is saved.