This issue was discussed in Forum:Organization for TS4 timeline and a resolution was hinted at. However, the issue of the Alternate Universe of The Sims 4 is probably something that should be delved into deeper. To that end, I'd like for us to come up with some guidelines to help us work around this issue in the continuity.
Specific issues with the alternate universe include, for starters, what it should be called. Referring to the TS4-established timeline as an "alternate universe" stays true to the "official" terminology used by the SimGurus (source here). However, that leaves the issue of what to call the timeline from the first three games; the "prime universe" or the "regular universe?" I personally don't feel that referring to one universe as the main/regular/prime universe and the other as an alternate universe really does justice to the second universe. If we accept that Maxis/EA/The Sims Studio, as creators of the timeline, are ultimately the ones which determine what is legitimately part of the timeline and what isn't, then to say that the TS4 universe is an alternate one is to suggest that the TS4 universe is less legitimate than the main universe. I personally think it's best to avoid the idea of a main universe and an alternate universe, and instead find a way to differentiate between the two without making one superior to the other.
There are a number of logistical issues due to the new universe. Think of one example - the Caliente family. Presently we have Caliente Family which, as of the time that this is being published, is written from a TS2-centric ("prime universe") perspective, in which Nighat Caliente is the mother of the twins. In The Sims 4, a new Sim, Katrina Caliente, is introduced as their mother. In this case, would we create a new section on the family page for the TS4 universe, with a new infobox, a new description of the family, a new family tree and everything else. There's also the matter of the family's navbox, which is also TS2-centric. Would we have two navboxes for two universes? Would it be better to split the family page up between universes, just as we are (likely) splitting Sim pages between game generations? Would a "Caliente family/Universe A" and "Caliente family/Universe B" setup be better than having them both on the same page?
There are a lot of places on the wiki that explain, either briefly or in great detail, the complex timeline established in the first three games. The chief example of this is Timeline of The Sims series which, again, does not go into any detail about the TS4 timeline. Would it be best to rename that page to something which reflects its status as the timeline of the first three games, or should the new timeline be included as well?
I know I've presented a lot of problems here, but ultimately it's something we'll have to figure out. I feel like a lot of us who edit regularly are holding our breath, waiting for the problem to be solved before we move forward with making major edits to a lot of these pages. We are aware that a lot of our information is out-of-date due to timeline changes, but it's hard to justify making lots of edits to lots of pages if we haven't yet decided how the information will be organized. So, what I am suggesting is that we figure out some of these core issues and write a structured guideline, much like the Manual of Style, to help us keep organized.
- How about the old universe being Universe 1 and the new universe being Universe A. LOL, sorry I had a Futurama marathon. Had to be funny with that. Sorry again.
- But, seriously, how about the old universe be "Alpha Universe" because that is the one that the series was founded upon. It is the original, and the one that most fans will remember. For everything TS4 and afterwards be "Beta Universe" because it is a second reboot timeline. (And, from what we have heard of the game so far, it just feels like a "Beta."
- I don't really have much else to suggest past that. I hope this helped a little in deciding. WayfinderOwl (talk) 01:10, September 5, 2014 (UTC)
- The only humorous thing I can add from Futurama is the Uranus joke, but I doubt that it's appropriate here. Anyways, I like your alpha/beta name idea. If we had an article somewhere explain the difference, I don't think it would be too difficult for people to understand. That's a lot of what we're going to be dealing with... making sure readers understand the different timelines and how they're separated. -- LostInRiverview talk ~ blog 01:16, September 5, 2014 (UTC)
- TS4 is the alternate timeline while everything else is the original timeline. Ѧüя◎ґ (talk) 20:28, October 2, 2014 (UTC)
- For me, I like the use of the "TS4 Timeline", which you referred in the original question. It still begs the question of what the "other" timeline should be referred to as. The rest of this reply is just thinking out loud about what to name the "other" timeline; I am not make any solid suggestions.
- It would be cumbersome to say the "TS/TS2/TS3 Timeline". I don't know if I like "TS2-centeric Timeline" either even though you did mention "TS2-centeric" in your original question, so I guess in a way it is alright if you think of it in that way. I guess one could say "The Sims Series Timeline" to differentiate between that and the "TS4 Timeline". I'm not sure I like it though because it could be mistaking as including the TS4 timeline as well as the rest of the series. Ok, thinking out loud is done. What does everyone else think? -- Icemandeaf (talk) 02:00, October 3, 2014 (UTC)
Since this thread is dead and its a fairly important issue I've gone ahead and drafted this. I'd appreciate if someone could take a look over it so we can get this matter wrapped up soon. Feel free to suggest improvements/changes or something. I'm thinking that if we do use this we put it into the MoS somewhere rather than make it its own page. This is by no means a finished copy, but hopefully it will get us on the road to finishing this up. ―ฬђ talk 09:52, November 1, 2014 (UTC)
- The draft looks good. I have no qualms with it. Ѧüя◎ґ (talk) 08:41, December 6, 2014 (UTC)
- I forgot to post here, but I did discuss this proposal with Wogan a week ago on the IRC channel and mentioned that I don't favor his draft. During (and because of) that discussion, I drafted my own counter-proposal, which can be read here. -- LostInRiverview talk • blog • contribs 20:35, December 6, 2014 (UTC)
Due to inactivity, this thread is closed without reaching a resolution. If this issue still requires community discussion, please consider starting a new forum thread. -- LostInRiverview talk • blog • contribs 04:58, January 11, 2015 (UTC)