Fishing is a skill in The Sims 3. This skill is gained by fishing in the ponds or ocean around the map. The higher the Sims' fishing skill is, the more types of fish they can catch. Books can be found at the bookstore showing the bait that can be used to catch specific fish, but a Sim can determine the bait through trial and error by simply selecting a bait and seeing what they catch. Water can be inspected to see what known fish can be caught there, and whether the fish are active.
When Sims reach level 3 in the gardening skill, they can use fish as a fertilizer for harvestable plants in their garden. The quality of the fish depends on how effective the fertilizer will be on the plant it is used on.
There are certain types of fish that can only be caught if Sims travel to one of the three locations shipped with The Sims 3: World Adventures. Sims can catch frogs, snails and crawfish in Champs Les Sims. In Shang Simla the types of fish Sims can catch are doitsu koi, kawarimono koi, ochiba koi, tancho koi and dragon fish. In Al Simhara, Sims can catch crocodiles and mummy fish. These fish are exclusive to these locations and cannot be caught in any other world shipped with The Sims 3.
- Number Caught
- Fish Types Caught
- Heaviest Fish Caught
- Most Money Earned From Selling A Fish
- Total Money Earned from Fishing
- Amateur Ichthyologist
- Amateur Ichthyologists have caught at least 20 types of fish. Their deep understanding of marine life helps them catch bigger fish than normal Sims.
- Commercial Fisherman
- Commercial Fishermen have caught at least 350 fish. They often catch more fish in less time than normal Sims.
|5||Use live bait|
Every two levels the game announces the Sim can catch more fish and to check the bookstore.
The Sim can learn the bait type for a specific fish species by buying and reading fishing books from the bookstore or just by successfully catching a particular species once using the right bait type. Fishing books are not available in the community public library.
- Ironically, the Vampire Fish's favorite bait is garlic, which is one of a vampire's weaknesses.
- Robot Fish can be found in a pond in most science labs. It's the only fish that can weigh over one ton.
- Deathfish can be found in a pond in graveyards. It can only be caught between midnight and 5 AM, unless it's caught from a Sim-made deathfish-stocked pond. The graveyard pond will only yield a maximum of six (sometimes five) deathfish per night. After the sixth is caught, the pond reverts to just red herring and vampire fish, regardless of the hour.
- Red Herring is not a real fish, but a common expression for something that distracts attention from a real issue. Like most fish, herrings have silvery scales.
- All fish from Island Paradise cannot be caught from fishing. The only way to catch them is from scuba diving in the diving areas, hence the lack of bait.
- It is, however, possible to stock a pond with them like any other fish and catch them that way. If you stock a pond with these fish, they cannot be seen swimming in the water but they can still be caught like all other fish in the game.
- Traveling to the future is not enough to catch either of the unique fish in Into the Future. You must go into the Dystopian future to catch a Three Eyed Fish and into the Utopian Future to Catch a Rainbow Snail.
Fish can be mounted on walls by clicking on a fish in a Sim's inventory and choosing "send to be mounted" and paying a small fee around 70 Simoleons. The trophy should arrive the next day in the mailbox.
Fish can also be put in fish bowls or an aquarium[TS3:HELS]. Fish bowls can be bought in buy mode. All fish fit in a bowl, one fish per bowl or six fish per tank. Fish are nameable, but must be fed each day or they will die. Fish can be scooped out of bowls, and put back in a Sim's inventory.
If a Sim has 10 or more fish of one type in their inventory, they can stock any pond with that fish. By stocking fish, a new type of fish is introduced in that pond. The pond will then contain an unlimited supply of that fish type for fishing.
There is no limit on how many different fish types there can be in one pond. Any type of fish or any type of pond will do, including Deathfish and ponds not on playable lots. Stocking a pond with the Deathfish (or any other fish, for that matter) will allow it to be caught at any time of the day in that pond.
A tip in obtaining better Death Fish is purchasing 10 Alley Catfish and stocking them in a pond in order to obtain a perfect Alley Catfish. Then fish 10 Angel Fish and stock them in the same pond. At midnight to 5am the angler will be able to get a very good or perfect Deathfish.
Buydebug fishing spawners
Fishing spots can be populated with fish by using fishing spawners. Fishing spawners can be found under the buy menu when the cheat buydebug is turned on.
|A Fish of Life and Death||Catch a Deathfish and Deliver Deathfish at the Science Facility to earn some money.||§350 + § Variable|
|A Plumber and Fisherman||Unclog pipes at City Hall before time runs out to earn some money.||§500 + 1x Random Fish|
|An Excellent Catch||Catch an excellent fish and Sell Fish at the Supermarket to earn some money.||§ Variable|
|Aquarium Fishing||Attend Fishing Competition at the Supermarket before time runs out to catch an assortment of fish.||§1,000 + 5x Random Fish|
|Fishing for Suits||Teach Fishing Seminar at the Business Office before time runs out to earn some money.||§ Variable|
|Fresh Fish||Catch 3 fish, then Sell Fish at the Supermarket to earn some money.||§ Variable|
|Funny Looking Fish||Catch a Tragic Clownfish at the Theatre to earn some money.||§250 + § Variable|
|Heaps of Fresh Fish||Catch 15 fish, then Sell Fish at the Supermarket to earn some money.||§ Variable|
|Lobsters in Demand!||Catch a Lobster and Sell Lobster to the Supermarket to earn some money.||§100 + § Variable|
|Lots of Fresh Fish||Catch 6 fish, then Sell Fish at the Supermarket to earn some money.||§ Variable|
|Monster from the Deep||Catch Behemoth at the Science Facility before time runs out to earn some money.||§4,000|
|Piscine Perfection||Catch a perfect fish and Sell Fish at the Supermarket to earn some money.||§ Variable|
|Robot Fish v2.0||Catch a Robot Fish and Sell Robot Fish at the Science Facility to earn some money.||§350 + § Variable|
|Say Hello to My Little Fish||Catch a Black Goldfish and Sell Black Goldfish at the Police Station to earn some money.||§650 + § Variable|
Sometimes a Sim may bring up an old box which will give them various things. The box randomly grants the Sim one object from the following list, sorted according to the rarity of the item:
- Rubber ducky (40%)
- Bubble Bath (32%)
- Candle (32%)
- Birthday cake (32%)
- Garden gnome (20%)
- Escape Dust[TS3:WA] (20%)
- Mummy snack[TS3:WA] (18%)
- Liquid Courage potion[TS3:WA] (18%)
- Sands of Understanding[TS3:WA] (18%)
- Skeleton keystone[TS3:WA] (14%)
- Guitar (13%)
- Stereo (13%)
- Death Flower (12%)
- Mysterious Mr. Gnome (12%)
- Sultan Sam the Magical Gnome of Egypt (12%)
- Master Manchu the Magical Gnome of China (12%)
- Little Léon the Magical Gnome of France (12%)
- Flame Fruit (8%)
- Money Tree seed (10%)
- Laptop (6%)
- Master Thief's Coin[TS3:WA] (4%)
- Eyes of Horus[TS3:WA] (2%)