- This article is about The Sims 3: Ambitions profession. For the emergency NPC, see Firefighter (NPC).
Athleticism and handiness are useful in this profession. In-depth tasks include upgrading and maintaining both the station's alarm system and fire truck as well as socializing with fellow co-workers. The Fire Station is a robust lot that can fulfill all your Sim's needs and provide skill training when on standby, but when the fire alarm goes off, it means dropping everything and racing to the site of the emergency which might be a small house fire, large house fire, gnome invasion, earthquake, or rabbit hole based emergencies such as an experiment gone catastrophically wrong at the science lab. Firefighters are given a letter grade (A through F) based on how quickly they are able to deal with an emergency. Handy Sims can upgrade the fire alarm to respond sooner to emergencies, upgrade the fire truck in 3 increments to increase its speed, and upgrade their personal fire extinguisher to put out fires faster.
Instead of being paid per hour, Firefighters are paid a weekly stipend with a cash bonus after every emergency they handle. Additionally, the 'job performance' bar has been replaced with the 'job experience' panel that must be filled before a Sim can receive a promotion. The job experience panel is filled by Sims handling emergencies, increasing athleticism and handiness, and befriending coworkers. Experience is lost when Sims miss work, are unfriendly to co-workers or fail to handle an emergency.
The two most common emergencies are small and large house fires. For small house fires, a firefighter need only to locate and extinguish a fire on a designated lot. However, during a large house fire, several new elements are introduced including window fires, breaking down doors and evacuating victims. Window fires must be put out before the firefighter can attempt to break down locked doors with an axe. Victims trapped inside will remain in one place panicking until they are rescued or die. Once a firefighter has reached a victim, they must use the "Convince to Run" interaction to get them to leave the building. Babies, toddlers, and children must be carried out by the firefighter as they are too scared to run on their own. Less than moral firefighters can also choose to steal objects in the confusion when no one is watching.
The appearance of the firefighter uniform in the trailer and screenshots appears drastically different than the one on the game cover and those seen in the base game. The clothes seen in earlier trailers are new outfits, while firefighter Sims will wear a uniform while on duty, and the base game's firefighter suit when responding to an emergency.
Types of Jobs
Small House Fire
Flames appear in a random household, the firefighter must put them all out.
The Sim must accomplish this task in under 3 hours for an A ranking.
Large House Fire
1-4 Sims are trapped inside a burning building. Your Sim is tasked with saving their lives and putting out the fire. Firefighter tasks include:
- Putting out fires on building windows (must be done before the firefighter may enter the building).
- Extinguishing flames within and outside of the structure.
- Breaking open doors.
- Convincing trapped adults to escape the building.
- Carrying children out of the building.
The firefighter has 4 hours to achieve an A ranking in this type of task.
Angry Gnome Attack
A household will be 'attacked' by Mysterious Mr. Gnomes. The firefighter simply needs to capture 2-5 gnomes.
The gnomes teleport if left for too long without being captured. Also feel free to kick the angry gnomes.
Can happen in any rabbit hole in the city. Firefighter simply goes into the rabbit hole and comes out when the job is done. Disasters include:
- Mutant Plant Attack
- Air Conditioning Malfunction
- Rogue Simbot
- Evil Plan Backfire
- Space-Time Rift
- X-Ray Disaster
- Gas Leak
The Sim has 3 hours to finish this event for an A ranking.
Epic Building Disaster
This disaster only happen at these specific rabbit holes on the city when the Sim has reached a specific level in the firefighter career. If the Sim is promoted before completing this disaster, they can never complete it again unless they get demoted. The Sim will get a reward after completing this disaster.
- Space Time Rift
- Rabbit holes: Science facility
- Level required: 7
- X-Ray Malfunction
- Rabbit holes: Hospital
- Level required: 9
- Evil Plot Backfire
- Rabbit holes: Abandoned warehouse
- Level required: 10
This is the most difficult task of them all.
This event can happen at any time. The player's screen shakes and a message appears prompting the firefighter to check out the fire station to see if they need help. One house at a time, the firefighter must:
- Put out several fires
- Clear rubble to save trapped Sims
- Repair a gas leak on a kitchen stove
Usually the firefighter must rescue three households before the earthquake event is finished. The event timer restarts after the firefighter completes the previous house.
- Firefighter's Trophy of Honor: Rescue 2 Sims
- Firefighter's Medal of Aegis: Rescue 10 Sims
- Firefighter's Trophy of Valor: Complete Gnome Invasion
- Firefighter's Trophy of Heroism: Complete Epic Science Facility Disaster
- Firefighter's Medal of Safekeeping: Complete Epic Hospital Disaster
- Firefighter's Ribbon of Bravery: Complete Epic Warehouse Disaster
- Firefighter's Key to The Town: Reach Career Level 10
- Golden Fire Hydrant: Save 12 Sims after Reaching the top of Career track
There is currently a glitch with the firefighting career in which a Sim puts out all the fires, captures all the gnomes, leaves the venue after one hour, etc., but the mission clock still runs. Sims around the house will still be doing the "Simlish fire dance" and the mission will not end until the Sim leaves the lot, resulting in mission failure and loss of job experience. This cannot be avoided for now, but the issue may be fixed in a future update. This glitch can also occur in the ghost hunting career track, where the mission doesn't end even after all the spirits have been caught. Loss of job experience can be prevented by using the Professional Slacker Lifetime Reward.
- Firefighter co-workers are unreachable via telephone. They are always either at the station or traveling to or from work.
- If the player chooses to Detonate The Woo Woo 4000 at the station, they will be able to continue responding to disasters. The fire engine will not respawn however, so no maintenance or upgrades on it will be possible.
- If a co-worker (or the player) is a celebrity, the Paparazzi may visit the Fire Station at random. The Paparazzi will simply hang around the Station until the Alarm sounds. Once the Alarm is activated, the Paparazzi will attempt to take snapshots of the celebrity who is a Firefighter as they run for the Woo Woo 4000.
- Co-workers can sometimes be disaster victims. They also do absolutely no work. Ever.
- If another co-worker is under your control i.e. you have two or more Sims that are firefighters you are able to bring them with another Sim. However this is not recommended as the glitch at the top of the page happens a lot more often.
- When your firefighter does maintenance on the alarm in their home, the station alarms also repair. This is not true for The Woo Woo 4000.
- The option to upgrade a fire extinguisher only appears when the firefighter is at level 5 of the profession. They do not need a workbench to do this.
- Originally, the upgrade on a firefighter's personal extinguisher appeared to be glitchy, as it had been reported to reset on game reload for some players. (This appears to have been fixed.)
- Co-workers are randomly assigned Neighborhood Sims, so don't be surprised if your Sim's grandmother is working with them!
- Firefighters cannot teleport around a lot with an active disaster scenario ongoing.
- Playable ghosts may not be the best for this career, as they float to places very slowly, which wastes valuable time going to the firetruck and to the source of the inferno.
- Mummies are afraid of fire, die immediately when burned, and walk very slow, so they make the very worst firefighters.
- SimBots typically make the best firefighters. While they usually walk slower than a normal Sim, fire cannot kill them.
- Along with SimBots, Vampires seem to make amazing firefighters due to their increased speed and endurance. This makes up for their weakness to fire and sunlight. They are also very easy to advance in the career since they build skills faster at night.
- The firefighting career marks the first time child aged Sims are picked up and carried around like younger Sims.
- Originally, some large house fires were impossible to complete due to fireplaces being treated as part of a fire; thus not allowing a firefighter to break down a door to rescue someone.
- Firefighters are able to steal items when they are putting out a fire in a house. The way it works is similar to how Sims with the kleptomaniac trait swipe at night.
- After reaching Level 5 (Fireman/Firewoman), a Sim can break down any locked doors he or she comes across, including those they have locked themselves.
- It is possible that when you respond to a small fire, you can put out the fire(s) but the game will not acknowledge this, causing the music to continue playing in the background until you leave, forcing an F grade. Your sim will do random household interactions until you leave. This bug is random and has no fix.
- When you have two (or more) firefighters and only one responds to a scene, the other firefighter can respond to the scene and will be immediately warped to the other firefighter's firetruck.
- Sometimes there is a case where your sim just can't respond to an emergency, when you click on the fire icon to respond to the emergency, the alarm stops and the action is instantly canceled, it is not known why this happens, and still there is no known solution for this problem.
- There is a possibility of death when handling fire-related emergencies, where a firefighter and possibly victim can die from the fire after a mission is over. [confirmation needed]