Fairies are a playable life state that were introduced in The Sims 3: Supernatural. They first appeared in the official announcement trailer for the expansion. Before that, there was a patch (1.32), which accidentally leaked visual effects files of fairy wings.
Fairies in previous games[edit | edit source]
Faerie Queen Mara, an NPC vendor from The Sims: Makin' Magic, and the Summerdream family from The Sims 2, could be considered fairies as they feature physical traits such as pointy ears and - in the case of Mara - wings. However, since the life state was not introduced yet, these are purely aesthetic, and at most, play a role in storytelling.
Overview[edit | edit source]
Fairies are described as elegant but mischievous magical creatures who love playing tricks on Sims, and who maintain their basic needs just like normal Sims. They have a hidden skill known as Fairy Magic. Fairies tend to take a liking to animals and gardening.
Ways to make a Fairy[edit | edit source]
- Create a Fairy in Create a Sim. See Creating a Fairy section below for more information.
- A Sim can become a fairy by getting a chance to receive a Fairy opportunity when searching for fairies in the Arboretum.
- There is an elixir known as the Bottled Blessing of the Fae which can turn a normal Sim into a fairy.
- A Sim with level 10 of Alchemy skill can mix this elixir at the alchemy station by having red toadstools, sunstone gem and fairy dust in their inventory.
- Check an elixir consignment shop as the shop may have the elixir, but not on a daily basis.
Creating a Fairy[edit | edit source]
Players can create a fairy in Create a Sim. At the "Supernatural Types" button at the Basics section of CAS, select "Fairy" and the Sim being created becomes a fairy. After that, the fairy automatically gets a pair of wings - for flight in their normal and natural form - with a unique color. The wings' color is the same in the fairy's natural form.
In the Basics section, there is a second tab which is labeled as Fairy Basics. It allows the player to customize a fairy's wings and select their color.
There are six different wing designs and they are all labeled. They are:
To change the color of the wings, there is a Change Wing Color button on the bottom right outside the box of wing designs. There are two tabs which are the Swatches and the Color Wheel. Choose any color for her/his wings. However, in custom fairy wing colors cannot be saved, so it is the player who will need to remember the color code or save a fairy with similar wing colors into the bin.
There are many fairy-themed clothes and accessories for a fairy to wear, although other Sims can wear them too. However, letting fairies wear them gives them a more cohesive look.
Abilities[edit | edit source]
Fairies live longer than normal Sims just like werewolves and vampires. Like vampires, young adult and adult fairies have a lifespan that is five times as long as that of a normal Sim, whereas young adult and adult werewolves have a lifetime that is 1.5 times as long. They move at an increased rate as they fly around. They shrink to their natural form to perform interactions that they can't do when normal-sized. They are "natural born tricksters", tricking Sims using different interactions.
The more they use magic, the more abilities become available. They can receive different auras, and the ability to use fairy pranks.
They get the positive "Energized by moonlight" moodlet every night except on the new moon, with its value changing based on how close the lunar cycle is to full moon. However, on the new moon, they get the slightly negative (-5) "Starving for moonlight" moodlet.
Magic[edit | edit source]
Fairies, like witches, have a magic meter that depletes every time they use their abilities. It can be found under their headshot when they're selected in the Sim's skewer. It informs the player how much remaining magic power their fairy has.
As their magic powers drain, fairies should maintain the magic meter in order to continuously use their abilities. They can slowly wait for a while to refill the meter or they can fill their meter at a faster rate by drinking Pollen Punch, riding the train in a train set or relaxing in a Fairy House. They can also instantly replenish their meter to full by drinking the Essence of Magic elixir. If all of their magic power is used up, it will take normally six hours to refill completely, enabling them to use magic again. During these six hours, they will have a negative moodlet.
Fairy tricks, traps and power[edit | edit source]
When starting out, they will have a very limited set of magical abilities. As they gain their Fairy Magic skill, they unlock new abilities and benefits slowly. Although fairies are "natural born tricksters", not every trick will be successful. Sometimes, their tricks will fail, causing some negative effect to either the fairy, the affected Sims, or both.
Powers[edit | edit source]
- (Level 0) I Can Fly: self interaction, that boosts the Fun motive.
- (Level 1) Flight of Felicity: grants another Sim to fly like a fairy instead of walking, as well enabling "I Can Fly" interaction.
- (Level 3) Fairy Repair: allows the fairies to repair objects with ease, possible without being electrocuted.[confirmation needed]
- (Level 4) Bloom: an interaction that accelerate the growth of a plant to its next stage. Sometimes can backfire and cause weed to grow on the harvestable plant or even kill the plant. Regardless of which instance, the ability can also be used to resurrect the plant back to life.
Fairy trap[edit | edit source]
- (Level 2) Hair Dye in Shower: fairy trapping the targeted shower to briefly dye a showering Sim's hair with tacky color.
- (Level 2) Overflowing Toilet: fairy trapping the toilet to overflow when flushed.
- (Level 4) Outdoor trashcan: fairy trapping the outdoor trashcan causes garbage to blast off onto the rummaging Sim, leaving trash piles laying around it nearby.
- (Level 6) Sofas & loveseats: fairy trapping these seats will make the sitting Sim Sleepy and get them to nap on the trapped object.
- (Level 8) Mailbox: the fairy will set a fairy trap on the object, which will release a swarm of bees on the Sim that retrieves mail from the mailbox.
- (Level 9) LLAMA: Sim traveling with it will be transported to a random location instead.
Fairy trick[edit | edit source]
- (Level 0) Chattering Teeth.
- (Level 0) Hot Head.
- (Level 4) Tummy Twister.
- (Level 6) Skivvies: As the name suggests, casting it causes the Sim to change temporarily into humiliating underwear and in response embarrassingly try cover themselves up.
- (Level 7) Gold and Toads: Grants the "Gold and Toad" moodlet to victim of the prank, which will have the Sim frequently cough out either only a toad or fairy coin. As they collect the item it will accumulate over time in their inventory. This cannot be casted on Sims that are in their werewolf form.
- (Level 10) Inner Beauty: Projecting onto another Sim will change their facial features to zany deformed face. This effect lasts until Inner Beauty moodlet expires, but will be prolonged for another 24 hours for every mean interaction the Sim initiates. This cannot be casted on Sims that are in their werewolf form.
Auras[edit | edit source]
Fairies use auras which affect themselves and nearby Sims. There are several different auras, which have different effects. These are:
- (Level 0) Aura of Soothing: Gives a positive moodlet
- (Level 1) Aura of Creativity: - Creative skills are easier to learn, and are learned faster
- (Level 3) Aura of Body and Mind: - Improves the rate at which Sims learn skills related to body or mind
If Seasons is also installed, fairies can cast Reviving Sprinkle using the Weather Stone, which turns rain into flowers. All the gardens in the current world will be magically watered and fertilized, vanishing weeds off and revived dead plants. At the end of Reviving Sprinkle, a beautiful rainbow can be seen across the sky.
Interactions[edit | edit source]
- To Sims
Since fairies love to trick, they can do so with the available interactions, depending on what Fairy Magic level they are on. This may reduce Sims' relationship with the fairy.
But fairies can also be on the good side. In addition to their auras, they can use the Playful Pester interaction, in which a fairy playfully circles the head of a Sim in their natural form. This boosts social and fun motives for both the Fairy and Sim.
Fairies can give their fairy dust to Sims which can be used to remove the zombie's curse or give another Sim the ability to float.
Fairies also have their very own social interactions, being able to "Tell A Fairy Tale", "Talk About Flowers" and "Brag About Playing Pranks" to other Sims.
- To other Fairies
Fairies can also play round by the Fairy Frolic interaction. Similar to the Playful Pester interaction, it is performed by two fairies when they turn into their natural forms and play around.
Offspring[edit | edit source]
Fairy power can be spread to other Sims around town by mating with a normal Sim or a Supernatural. Genetics play the key role in this. From mating with a normal Sim or a Supernatural, there will be 50% chance that the offspring will inherit fairy power.
Baby fairies do not have wings, although the color of their wings can be determined via the color of the sparkles that surround them. Toddler fairies will have wings, but they have no special fairy abilities, aside from the fairy hover. They also have fairy-styled idle animations, such as floating and flapping of wings. They are also easy to take care of with a fairy bungalow or castle. They can drink pollen punch to satisfy their hunger, and can join or host a fairy house party. Fairies may also sleep in a bungalow or castle.
Child fairies can perform four tricks as a fairy to Sims. When they become teenagers, they can then perform other tricks like a normal fairy, assuming they have a high level of Fairy Magic skill. Thus, child fairies can get a head-start in developing their Fairy Magic skill by using the four tricks given.
Teen fairies are almost as developed as adult fairies and can perform an impressive range of tricks.
Curing a Fairy[edit | edit source]
A fairy Sim can be returned to be normal by using the Potent Cure Elixir.
The fairy can also be asked by her/his romantic interest to Forsake The Fae. The opportunity window will appear, explaining what may happen and what to do. Once accepted, they must follow the instructions - fairies usually go to the Arboretum - to forsake the fae, thus becoming normal.
Fairies that have become normal again no longer have any fairy abilities or wings.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- In addition to their wings, their bodies can also glow.
- Baby fairies don't have wings.
- There are several new moodlets related to fairies. Some show level of magic warnings, some are related to the Lunar Cycle, and some to fairy interactions.
- Like Vampires, Fairies age up 5 times slower than normal Sims.
- Fairies may transform to their natural form - small butterfly - and fulfill their needs in the Fairy House or Fairy Castle, like sleeping and eating (through drinking pollen punch). They may also throw fairy parties and WooHoo with other fairies.
- Fairies in Supernatural seem to have some references to fairies in True Blood. For example, vampires get a "buzz" after feeding from a fairy like in True Blood.
- There is one action a Sim can use on a Fairy called "Imply mother was a glowbug."
- In The Sims 4, while fairies themselves do not appear in game as a life state nor as NPC, a tiny fairy can be seen flying around Sylvan Glade appearing from time to time and even giggling. However, they only serve as decoration and cannot be interacted with.
- In The Sims 4: Spooky Stuff there is a fairy costume and regular Sims can dress like a Fairy.
- In The Sims 4: Realm of Magic, spellcasters can have non-anthropomorphic fairies as familiars.
- When a fairy is in their natural form, small bell-like jingles will play.
- If a Sim has the Queen/King of the Fae Lifetime reward, fairies in their natural forms will fly around the Sim with their signature bells jingling, usually in 2s or 3s.
Media[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]