Emotions are a gameplay feature introduced in The Sims 4 which are a core part of a Sim's simology. It is similar to mood, but is more easily affected by in-game events and social interactions with other Sims. Moodlets influence the current emotion of a Sim. The current emotional state of a Sim is depicted in the lower left corner of the screen while playing. It is also noted that some objects in-game can affect the emotions of some Sims, though the Sim has to already be feeling a particular way in order for an object to affect them emotionally. Sims that are severely emotional can die from their emotions.
There are several ranges of emotions. Sims may reach one stage of an emotion and then progress to a second, more extreme stage of the same emotion. For instance, a Sim that is embarrassed may become very embarrassed. Sims that become extremely emotional may eventually suffer an emotional death.
|Superlatives: Very Angry, Enraged|
|It is difficult for Angry Sims to socialize and build skills.
Try taking a cold shower or calming down in the mirror!
Hot-Headed: Hot-Headed Sims feel motivated to get fit when they're Angry.
Try working out or going for a run!
Toddlers: (Sim Name) is Angry. Try to calm him/her down.
Enraged: This Sim is so Angry that they're about to explode!
Try taking a cold shower or calming down in the mirror!
|A Bored Sim won't feel like doing anything that isn't fun.
Try out some new fun activities!
|Superlative: Very Confident|
|A Confident Sim finds it easy to succeed at all things social.
Try building Charisma skill by socializing with others!
|A Dazed Sim is feeling a bit woozy and will have trouble doing anything useful.
Try taking a quick nap or a nice bath!
|Superlatives: Very Embarrassed, Mortified|
|It's really hard for an Embarrassed Sim to talk to other Sims.
Try to give yourself a pep talk in the mirror or hide from everyone!
Mortified: This Sim is so Embarrassed, they're ready to curl up and die... literally
Try a pep talk in the mirror or hide from everyone in bed for a bit!
|Energized(NA) / Energised(UK)|
|Superlatives: Very Energized(NA) / Very Energised(UK)|
|An Energized Sim will tire slower and is better at physical activities!
Try working out or cleaning the house!
Toddlers: An Energized Toddler wants to run and play around the house! Get them moving!
|A Sim that is Fine isn't feeling particularly strongly in one way or the other.
Go try some stuff and see what happens!
|Superlatives: Very Flirty|
|A Flirty Sim will find all kinds of success at matters of love.
Try some romantic socials with another Sim!
|Superlative: Very Focused|
|The mind of a Focused Sim is sharp and clear.
Try playing chess or practicing programming on the computer.
|Superlative: Very Happy|
|A Happy Sim is feeling great about life.
Being Happy will make any positive emotion even stronger!
|Superlative: Very Inspired|
|An Inspired Sim has tons of creative ideas begging to be expressed!
Try painting on the easel or playing an instrument!
|Superlatives: Very Playful, Hysterical|
|Being funny comes easy to a Playful Sim!
Try practicing some jokes on a microphone or with other Sims!
Toddlers: A Playful toddler wants to play and have fun! Try having them play with dolls or toys!
Hysterical: This Sim is cracking up so much, they're about to keel over!
Try calming them down in a Mirror!
|Superlative: Very Uncomfortable|
|No Sim enjoys feeling Uncomfortable and worn out.
Make sure their Needs are in good shape!
|Superlative: Very Sad|
|It's hard for a Sad Sim to hang out with other people.
Try a pep talk in the mirror or a good cry under the covers!
Gloomy: Gloomy Sims get some of their best ideas when they're Sad. Try painting or writing a story!
Toddlers: Aw. Your toddler is sad and needs some TLC. You can comfort them or give them food to make them feel better.
|Superlative: Very Tense|
|A Tense Sim doesn't feel like doing much of anything.
Try taking a nice bath or relaxing in front of the TV!
|A sleeping Sim has drifted off, ignoring the feelings they had during the day.
Toddlers: Aw. Your little wittle toddler has drifted off to sleep. Finally!
|'ŦĦ€ ΔŘβØŘ€ΔŁ ΜƗŇĐ ĐŘ€ΔΜŞ ŦĦŘØỮǤĦ ØỮŘ ₣Ł€ŞĦ¥ €¥€Ş||
|Sims inflicted with lethal emotional states.|
Sims can die as a result of being in an extreme emotional state for a prolonged time. There are several emotional deaths, but not every emotional state has an associated death. Currently, the only deadly emotions are Mortified, Enraged, and Hysterical.
When a dangerous emotion is reached, the little outline of the circle which appears on the second level of an emotion, will fade in and out. After they die and become ghosts they remain in their Mortified, Enraged, or Hysterical states.
The corresponding cheat buffs (+500 to Playful, Embarrassed or Angry for 20 days) are no longer available due to the sims.add_buff cheat being removed along with other cheats in the patch of June 26, 2018. They can, however, be re-enabled with a mod.
A Sim with (+15) Playful moodlets (including boosts from the Happy emotion) becomes Hysterical. When a Sim is in a state of hysteria, if they continue doing funny actions, they can die. This can be avoided by calming down in the mirror.
Sims can become hysterical by doing any of the following:
- Drinking the Potion of Happiness (+100 Happy) from the Satisfaction Points reward store and then getting into a playful mood
- Getting the "Death" outcome from the wishing well when wishing for happiness (+99)[TS4:RGS]
- Doing playful interactions, such as:
- Taking a Bubble Bath (+2)
- Play in the Tub (+2) (available when playful)
- Drinking the corresponding Cowplant Essence)
- Telling multiple Jokes in a row (+1)
- Being near Playful decoration (up to +2)
- Viewing a Playful painting (+1)
- Being near MySims trophies (+1)
- Having/doing things that boost the Happy emotion, such as full needs, decor, good food, new friends, drinking the Essence of Happiness and Essence of Life from the Cowplant, et cetera) while playful
A Sim with (+8) Embarrassed moodlets becomes Mortified. When a Sim is Mortified, they run the risk of dying from Embarrassment after a period of time. This can be avoided by telling a self-depreciating joke or hiding from other Sims as quickly as possible. It can also be avoided by selecting "Give Yourself a Pep Talk" at a mirror.
Sims can become mortified by doing any of the following:
- Wetting themselves by having a bladder failure (+5)
- Failing to unlock the hidden lot in Willow Creek (+3)
- Drinking the Essence of Embarrassment obtained from the Cowplant (+2)
- Wearing the Hat of Shame (brightly colored, large hat available at the Costumes section in CAS) (+2)
- Repeatedly flirting with new acquaintances (+1)
- Catching other Sims WooHooing, showering or going to the toilet (+1)
- Being caught WooHooing or sitting on the toilet (+1)
- Getting the "Death" outcome from the wishing well when wishing for skills (+99)[TS4:RGS]
A Sim with (+7) Angry moodlets becomes Enraged. When a Sim is in the Enraged state, they can die of a cardiac explosion. This can be avoided by calming themselves down in the mirror, or venting to another Sim, though this may upset them.
Sims can become enraged by doing any of the following:
- Catching a spouse flirting with another Sim (+3)
- Being Riled Up by a Sim with the Hot-Headed trait (+2)
- Being woken up when having the Lazy trait (+2)
- Being around a Sim with the Evil trait while having the Good trait or vice versa (+1)
- Being the target of Voodoo (Pain) (+2)
- Drinking the Essence of Anger obtained by the Cowplant (+2)
- Being near multiple Angry Paintings (+2)
- Eating the Flaming Hot Spaghetti (+2) (available to Cooks above Level 5 when Angry)
- Drinking the Boiler Room cocktail (+2) (available to Mixologists from Level 1 when Angry)
- Viewing an Angry Painting (+1)
- Sitting on a chair damaged by a cat scratching against it (+1)[TS4:C&D]
- Getting the "Death" outcome from the wishing well when wishing for a promotion (+99)[TS4:RGS]
- This section is in need of additional information. You can help The Sims Wiki by expanding this section.
When having a specific emotion, the player may unlock new interactions, but it only happens when having the emotion.
For example, an energized Sim can do push-ups, sit-ups and stretch. An embarrassed Sim may hide under the covers of his or her bed. An uncomfortable Sim can complain about their problems to other Sims. A confident Sim can tell an unbelievable story to other Sims. A sad Sim can cry under his or her covers and read obituaries on the computer. Playful Sims have access to some goofy social interactions, and happy Sims have some extra friendly interactions such as brightening another Sim's day and giving them a heartfelt compliment. In the swimming pool, there are energetic, sadly, and playful swimming.
In the pie menu, actions which are influenced by — or influence an emotion — have a half circle in the color of the emotion on the left side of it.
- Any Sim can achieve any of these emotional states from the following methods:
- With the MySim trophies obtained from time capsules, they can "emit" emotions that affect any Sims that enter the room, based on the color of the trophies.
- The Sims 3 Rewards lamps obtained from The Sims 4 website can also be used; these work the same as MySim trophies.
- If a Sim survives being eaten from a Cowplant, they can milk the cowplant to get a potion which gives them the emotion they had before they got eaten. If a Sim gets devoured by a Cowplant, another Sim can milk the Cowplant to get Essence of Life which makes the Sim instantly happy as well as adding a few days to their life.
- Painters can paint emotional paintings based on their emotion, for example, a Confident Sim can draw a Confident painting, which emits a Confident Aura, similar to The Sims 3 Rewards lamps.
- In careers, Sims get objects of a specific emotion good for this career.
- Sims can buy books in "Emotional" category and read it.
- A Sim with the 'Expressionistic' trait (obtained by completing the 'Painter Extraordinaire' aspiration) can paint any emotional painting no matter what their emotion is.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 TS4 Gameplay trailer
- ↑ "The Sims 4: Colors, Objects, Clothing & Emotions - SimsVIP". Retrieved on 10 October 2014.
- ↑ "Lyndsay Pearson on Twitter: ".@jupik12 I don't want to give everything away, but there are multiple types of emotion deaths."". Retrieved on 10 October 2014.