A content pack[n 1] is an addition to a previously-released base game. In The Sims series, these packs add new objects and new interactions between Sims, and very often include new neighborhoods, life states, and other features. Content packs cannot be installed or played without first installing the appropriate "base game." Content packs usually follow a theme, with new features, objects, music, and styles tailored to that specific theme. Content packs are known by different names depending on the size of the pack.
Types of content packs
An expansion pack is the most significant content pack available. Expansion packs were introduced with The Sims: Livin' Large and have been a staple of the series, with several expansion packs released for The Sims, The Sims 2 and The Sims 3. Expansion packs tend to focus on major new features, and many objects, clothes, styles, neighborhoods or worlds, and life states are geared towards the pack's major theme.
A stuff pack is a smaller add-on pack which typically includes only new objects and clothes for Sims, though some stuff packs do include gameplay changes. Stuff packs originated with The Sims 2, and were released for The Sims 3 as well.
A Compilation pack is a collection of one or more individual expansion and/or stuff packs. Bundles, starter packs, and deluxe editions are generally all forms of compilations. Compilation packs have been released for each of the main series games produced so far.
Compilations sometimes, but do not always, contain the base game and one or more expansion packs. This bundling can appeal to people who do not yet own the base game, but are interested in acquiring it and one or more expansions. Compilations are often released several years after the initial release of the games which make up the bundle. The compilation is usually priced closer to that of a full expansion pack, where each of the component expansions or stuff packs would have had its price reduced over time. However, compilations can be released concurrently with the release of one of the component games; this is often simply the new expansion pack paired up with the base game, and sold for a higher price than the expansion alone. Compilation packs typically install all the collected packs simultaneously, eliminating the need to install each pack individually.
Compilation packs by generation
- Compilations of The Sims - An article detailing all compilation packs released for The Sims
- Compilations of The Sims 2 - An article detailing all compilation packs released for The Sims 2
- Compilations of The Sims 3 - An article detailing all compilation packs released for The Sims 3
Content packs by game
In The Sims, there are seven expansion packs. They are:
The Sims 2
The producers released eight different expansion packs for The Sims 2. They are:
Additionally, ten different stuff packs were released. They are:
- Holiday Party Pack
- Family Fun Stuff
- Glamour Life Stuff
- Celebration Stuff
- Happy Holiday Stuff (Expanded re-release of the Holiday Party Pack.)
- H&M Fashion Stuff
- Teen Style Stuff
- Kitchen & Bath Interior Design Stuff
- IKEA Home Stuff
- Mansion and Garden Stuff
The Sims 3
Eleven expansion packs were released for The Sims 3. They are (in order of release):
- World Adventures
- Late Night
- University Life
- Island Paradise
- Into the Future
There are also nine stuff packs that were released for The Sims 3. These stuff packs, in order of release, are:
- High-End Loft Stuff
- Fast Lane Stuff
- Outdoor Living Stuff
- Town Life Stuff
- Master Suite Stuff
- Katy Perry's Sweet Treats
- Diesel Stuff
- 70s, 80s, & 90s Stuff
- Movie Stuff
The Sims 4
There is currently one expansion pack:
There is also one game pack:
Currently, there are two stuff packs:
- ↑ "Content pack" is an unofficial term used to refer to this content, as no official term exists
- ↑ "Just what is a Game Pack?" by SimGuru Grant at TheSims.com. Retrieved 20 December 2014
- ↑ The Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff introduces new NPCs, parties, and interactions.
- ↑ Stuff packs for The Sims 2 included influence, chemistry, fury, and the inventory.
- ↑ Popularity determined by review rankings at Gamerankings.com.