Aspiration is the personality attribute that determines a Sim's wants and fears.
Sims will have one of eight aspirations at any given time. The base game does not allow a change of aspiration after a Sim was created or became a teen. The University expansion pack allows Sims to change aspiration once after finishing their sophomore year. The Nightlife expansion pack added the ReNuYuSenso Orb, an Aspiration Reward which allows a Sim to change aspiration. In the FreeTime expansion pack, Sims can have a secondary aspiration.
- Babies have no aspiration. (When viewed in SimPE, they will be shown as having the Grow Up aspiration, but this does not affect gameplay.)
- Grow Up: All toddlers and children have this aspiration, and it cannot be changed without the use of cheats and/or hacks. Growing up involves learning essential life skills and (in the case of children) making friends and success at school. As soon as children grow up to become teenagers, the player can choose their aspiration.
- Family: Family Sims will want to have children, and eventually grandchildren, and for those children to excel in their own lives.
- Fortune: Fortune Sims want to earn money, gain promotions, marry a rich Sim, and put their income towards new household items.
- Knowledge: Knowledge Sims want to gain skill points, and to eventually max out skills. They may even want to experience the abnormal, such as ghosts or alien abduction. They are also the only Sims that will gain good memories from changing life state with some exceptions: non-Knowledge sims will still have good memories of becoming good witches, plantsims or vampires, and even Knowledge sims will get bad memories from becoming werewolves or evil witches/warlocks.
- Popularity: (sometimes referred to as Reputation or Fame): Popularity Sims most of all want to accumulate friends and best friends. Parties are also craved by these Sims.
- Romance: Romance Sims want to engage in casual romance, and particularly WooHoo. They are perhaps unique in that their fears are actually wants to most other Sims (marriage, babies etc.) Romance sims get bad memories from going steady, engagement and marriage with one exception; they will not have bad memories of marrying rich sims. Despite fearing having babies, Romance sims will still have good memories of becoming parents.
- Power: (hidden) This aspiration can be obtained by a cheat. It's a combination of Popularity and Fortune (though it is apparently unfinished).
- Pleasure: Pleasure Sims want to have fun, go out, meet new Sims, and engage in romance (though not nearly as much as Romance Sims).
- Grilled Cheese: (Only available through use of cheats, The Sims 2: Freetime secondary aspiration or ReNuYuSenso Orb.) The wants and fears of Sims with this aspiration mostly have to do with grilled cheese.
- Secondary aspiration: Sims are able to have a second aspiration, but are not required to have one. A Sim with a secondary aspiration will receive wants and fears from both aspirations. The Grilled Cheese aspiration can be selected as a secondary aspiration.
With the cheat, boolprop testingcheatsenabled true players can find another aspiration, Power. It was apparently an abandoned thought, because it has no icon and its wants and fears are similar to the Popularity and Fortune aspiration wants and fears. The "Power" aspiration usually involves making friends and gaining promotions. However, this aspiration is not possible to get in any other way, and as such, is defunct. (Furthermore, the aspiration bar cannot be accessed without a reset process). There was also going to be a Craft Aspiration, but it was removed early on and cannot be accessed. Now it is only referred to as unused in the game files, although Creativity is an aspiration in The Sims 2 for console and The Sims 2 Pets for console.
Game Boy Advance
There are three possible aspirations in The Sims 2 on Game Boy Advance. Five points are awarded for each (up to the 5th) conversation of the same type as the Sim's aspiration in each episode.
Tips & Tricks
- Most of the wants and fears mentioned apply to different aspirations as well, but less frequently. For example, Family Sims will often have a want to gain a skill point (usually Cooking, Cleaning or Mechanical), and Fortune Sims will often want to gain skill points needed for promotion. On the other hand, Knowledge Sims may occasionally want to have a baby (especially right after getting married), and often want to buy skill building objects. Sims with a secondary aspiration can get wants related to that aspiration.